Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember with past pregnancies having trouble breathing (not serious I'm-going-to-die problems, but just feeling like it was more difficult) later in the pregnancy. And shortness of breathness too.

But I'm already feeling that at almost 21 weeks. The shortness of breath (like when walking up stairs) doesn't worry me as much as the feeling of my lungs having trouble breathing, like getting a good, deep breath is harder than normal.

I AM carrying high already (like, my stomach starts rounding out like about an inch below my boobs). So that might contribute.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
434 Posts
This started early for me, I think the increased blood volume has a lot to do with it. I slowed down instantly it seems, well maybe around 10-12 weeks I was really starting to slow down. I was running before pg and in the first few weeks but as soon as morning sickness hit I stopped because it made me more sick and when I tried to get back into it I had NO STAMINA at all, so now I am trying to walk which if I increase the pace too much I am out of breath. The joys of pg.

Warmly,
Erin

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do need to start exercising. I wonder if that would help the breathing or make it worse......

I think I might try out my exercise bike later today.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
My first thought is iron deficiency. I would get the shortness of breath thing going up the stairs, not that it was hard to go up the stairs, but when I got to the top I felt like I had to breathe deeply for a long time to recover my oxygen debt. With the increased blood volume, it makes sense. I supplemented with extra iron and ate iron rich foods, and the shortness of breath went away.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Viola, I thought of iron, but my midwife said my blood test results showed normal iron levels. Still, that was several weeks ago, so things may have changed. I don't think I'm getting much iron in my diet right now. I think I'll work on dietary increases right now and see if that helps....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Siobhain View Post
This started early for me, I think the increased blood volume has a lot to do with it. I slowed down instantly it seems, well maybe around 10-12 weeks I was really starting to slow down. I was running before pg and in the first few weeks but as soon as morning sickness hit I stopped because it made me more sick and when I tried to get back into it I had NO STAMINA at all, so now I am trying to walk which if I increase the pace too much I am out of breath. The joys of pg.

Warmly,
Erin
I experienced the same. Very early on while on my daily walk, what used to be pretty simple, I now have to stop and rest and I am definitely breathing harder. It makes me feel like a wimp and I always find myself apologizing to DH b/c I am slowing him down.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
for 19 weeks my FF pregnancy tracker says:

Quote:
As your uterus expands, you can expect it to put increased pressure on your lungs, kidneys and stomach. This increased pressure can result in breathlessness when you exert yourself physically.
where is your fundus?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've read that the shortness of breath is also due to the increase in progesterone, which causes you to breathe more deeply in pregnancy to oxygenate that extra blood. I've had shortness of breath like you describe from early on (week 6 or so) in each of my pregnancies, and one of my friends said it was her first indication she was pregnant, even a day or two before missing AF.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've had this issue too, for a couple weeks now. It's usually wehn I'm talking, I'll feel like I can't breathe and have to just stop for a couple minutes and take deep breaths and force myself to yawn. Weird!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
where is your fundus?
Um. I have no idea.

But I seem to be carrying high already. My stomach starts rounding out right under (about an inch under) my boobs. So it seems pretty high (or maybe that's normal?)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by greeny View Post
Um. I have no idea.

But I seem to be carrying high already. My stomach starts rounding out right under (about an inch under) my boobs. So it seems pretty high (or maybe that's normal?)

Ooh, me too! Are we having girls?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
momam, I don't know (we're keeping it a surprise), but I've had a STRONG girl feeling this whole pregnancy so far. I think I'll be shocked (not in a bad way, just surprised) if this baby ends up being a boy!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Mine always starts around 16-17wks, and sure enough, I'm having to breathe deeply now and get out of breath going upstairs (I'm not in bad shape, either). Just make sure you don't hyperventilate and black out (that's not fun) while you're trying to get enough oxygen.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by greeny View Post
Um. I have no idea.

i'm actually surprised i can find mine so easily. i watched my MW when she checked it last time and i did the same thing at home and it was a cinch to find. she started pressing lightly but firmly about four or so inches above my navel and kept going down towards my navel until she felt the hardness of the top of the uterus, try it, it's interesting. mine is a tiny bit below my navel, like maybe within an inch or so, which is where it should be. you are ahead of me so i'm guessing yours might be higher.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
i'm actually surprised i can find mine so easily. i watched my MW when she checked it last time and i did the same thing at home and it was a cinch to find. she started pressing lightly but firmly about four or so inches above my navel and kept going down towards my navel until she felt the hardness of the top of the uterus, try it, it's interesting. mine is a tiny bit below my navel, like maybe within an inch or so, which is where it should be. you are ahead of me so i'm guessing yours might be higher.
Do you do this when laying flat? I have been curious, but its hard to know what I'm feeling--I'm never sure if I'm just feeling my abs or if I am managed to feel through them. I've haven't felt for it in over a week though, I'll give it another go.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
Do you do this when laying flat? I have been curious, but its hard to know what I'm feeling--I'm never sure if I'm just feeling my abs or if I am managed to feel through them. I've haven't felt for it in over a week though, I'll give it another go.
i definitely have to be lying flat. i have tried it in other positions and, no deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.