Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your personal limit for Baby Wearing?

I'm finding wearing my 25lb, 13 month old to be a bit cumbersome! A Mei Tai back-carry is all I can handle anymore.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My 17 month old DD is 23 lbs., and a back carry is all I can manage too. But, I use an Ergo or wrap and both are wonderfully comfy.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I still wear my 28lb 2 yr old quite a bit in my mei tai. I prefer the back, but do the front often as needed for nursing.

-Angela

·
Registered
334 Posts
my 19 month old is quite heavy for me (i'm 5 ft tall, 100 pounds...baby is 27 pounds), but I can still carry him in my plain ol' ring-sling. I even went hiking last week, wearing him. He does get heavy after a while, but I manage. My 3 y/o still loves to sit in her "sling-o"

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
DS is definitely too heavy for me now at 35 lbs and me being pregnant. I was happily slinging him regularly right before I got pregnant, but recently I feel it pulling my uterus and he's really just too heavy for me. Even before, my back was killing me after any slinging, so it was getting time...

I was sad to hang up my slings, but I guess the consolation is that soon there will be a brand new newborn to fill them up again.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I can carry my 45 lb 5 year old in a MT front or back and my 55lb 7 year old in a back carry. The 7 year old I can only carry for a short time, maybe 15 - 20 minutes. But my younger son usually wants down before I need to put him down.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My 4yo still loves being worn... the girls fight over who gets to be on mama's back. We were using a mei tai mostly, wrapping a bit... but I just got a toddler patapum and it is AMAZING! Wearing my 4yo is easy and comfortable. Yay! I really like having a carrier that both my girls can ride in, so if I start out with the little one in the carrier, and by the end of the day, when my 4yo is tired, I can pop her in there and carry my 18mo.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
For any length of time (for me, my time limit is 30 minutes) I think 25 lbs.

BUT, these are not my children, they are daycare kids, and I am not a young Mom anymore. I think it would have been easier if I had them 24/7 and they grew heavier each day, so I had a chance to get used to it slowly.

I wonder how some of you moms carry a heavy child for hours at a time. I just can't do it...I love it while I am carrying them, but after a while, I really suffer for it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you, Kim. Popping my son on my back is the quickest way to calm him for nearly any reason - but my body just isn't having it anymore!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lou, I have a toddler Patapum and I can't use the word comfortable. My DD is over 26# (haven't weighed her in awhile) and I can wear her for awhile, but I can't say comfortable. So my answer to this thread would be 26 lbs unless I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelous
Lou, I have a toddler Patapum and I can't use the word comfortable. My DD is over 26# (haven't weighed her in awhile) and I can wear her for awhile, but I can't say comfortable. So my answer to this thread would be 26 lbs unless I can figure out what I am doing wrong.
I tried an Ergo for a bit (very similar) and could NEVER get it comfortable. Try a mei tai.

-Angela

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.