Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow mamas! This is my first time every posting and I'm excited to join this wonderful community.

I have a 9 month old who only falls asleep nursing in the Ergo. I walk laps in the house singing songs and it has been very effective for us. Sometimes I can bounce on an exercise ball. But I physically can't do it anymore. He takes 4 cat naps a day plus bedtime - and weighs 23 pounds. My shoulders and back can't carry all this weight.

He flails around if I try nursing him in the glider, is over stimulated in the stroller, and has hated car rides since day one. I don't really know where to go from here and was hoping someone may have a similar experience to share.

· Registered
330 Posts
This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I laid next to my daughter while she cried. I told her (before and after and during) that it was sometimes hard to learn new things but Mama was there and Mama loved her. I just couldn't carry her anymore and it would take at least an hour for her to nurse to sleep -- I couldn't do that three times a day. It took one night and one nap and she settled down with very little problem. I just couldn't think of anything else I could do.

Good luck! I know hard of a situation it is!

· Registered
2,718 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pippi L. View Post
This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I laid next to my daughter while she cried. I told her (before and after and during) that it was sometimes hard to learn new things but Mama was there and Mama loved her.
But, her baby is 9 months old--there's no way a 9 month old could come close to understanding this sentiment.

OP, could your DH/partner help with wearing him down in the evening? That was always a great time for bonding between my DH and DD. Or maybe an evening stroller walk? Or replacing one or more of the naps with a stroller walk to give you energy for the Ergo in the evening? I hope you get it figured out!

· Registered
540 Posts
Are you wearing him on the front or back with the Ergo? If front, back is a lot easier. I also switched to a high back carry in wrap slings when she got that heavy. But that isn't exactly the advice you were looking for!

My DD was a major contact napper for a long time. We just kept working on other strategies (holding, rocking, singing, etc) and as she got older they worked better. 9 months is just still a pretty high snuggle time.

· Registered
720 Posts
Here's what we did but he was showing signs of readiness (fussing in the ergo when trying to put him down). For about a week, we would get ds to the verge of sleep in the ergo then transition to our bed and lie next to him until he fell asleep. It would take many transitions and often we had to get him fully asleep in the ergo. But I think it got him used to the idea of falling asleep cuddling on the bed. Then we just stopped using the ergo altogether. This was when he was resisting falling asleep in the ergo. One naptime I just thought, "enough! My back and knees are killing, he will fall asleep cuddling lying down." And he did, with not one tear or protest. I think he had gotten used to the principle and realized he was more comfortable lying down too.

Around that time I dropped to 2 naps and I think that helped him fall asleep because he was super tired.

Good luck.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
The exercise ball was our go-to after DS got too heavy for me to comfortably wear (front or back) for a whole nap. I can't say he was thrilled at first, but I was right there. Around that time we also went to two naps and an earlier bedtime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.