Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been, up until very recently, anticipating a standard hospital delivery for my second son. After all, the first was born in this setting, with fond memories attached, but it wasn't without compromise and I didn't realize quite the compromises I actually made until I watched my virst video again, just the other night (another thread, another day...all under the heading "unnecesary medical intervention???").

I understand the classes normally run 12 weeks. I have about 6-7 weeks left until I reach term (Aug 24th). I checked out a book at the local library: "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" by Susan McCutcheon...and I'm wondering if this might suffice. Am I SOL if I can't attend the classes?
Any thoughts?

It's suddenly very important to me that I avoid unneccesary intervention, and birth naturally. My birth video, despite all the calm smiling and oohs and aahs, enabled me to revisit the happiest moment in my life to date (the birth of my first son) but it left me feeling rather cold regarding hospital birthing under the influence of epidurals and fetal monitors, and reminded me of the painful weeks after his birth, when I was healing from a nasty episiotomy.

I want to avoid repeating this same scenario. It's a shame I am just now coming to this revelation, though! Is there any hope?

Thanks for ANY input,
-insomniamama

·
Registered
590 Posts
I honestly believe if you contact a local bradley instructor they will do all they can to make sure that you have the most important information for your birth. Some of the classes are nutrition etc and the manual is very good that comes with the class. I would say go for it.

Also read a thinking womans guide to a better birth that will be absolutely essential. And develop a birth plan. You most importantly may need to really look at your OB. I have found in our bradley class that the practitioner made a huge difference on whether a woman could do it or not because the impatient ones who don't get it and are all about IV's and continuous monitoring are a big part of the problem.

I think you can easily transfer care up to 36 weeks too and don't be afraid to do it. Too many woman go into birth with a practitioner or husband who is not suportive. If your husband sucks or is timid ask the bradley people if you can bring him AND A FRIEND to the class so that you have more support in your court.

Good luck. If you post more info maybe we can help

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The Bradley method is not going to keep unnecessary medical interventions from happening to you. Hospital routine procedures have priority of anything a doctor or CNM tells you won't happen. Unless you are referring to pain management alone and not IVs and EFM and countless internal exams, etc.

I think you can study the Bradley Method on your own with the book and do just fine labor management wise. With my first birth that is what I did b/c instructors were so far away. With my 3rd I just read Ian May's Guide to Natural Childbirth and Spiritual Midwifery over and over again. I had about 5 weeks to go from a planned c/s to a planned home VBAC.

Best to you

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You could always contact a few. I know several in my area who do "crash" courses. Esp. since you're a second-time mama. IMO, it's never too late for any decision that empowers you and brings you comfort and peace.

Happy birthing!!!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I got that book when I was about 32 weeks along. We'd taken the first Lamaze class through the OB's office, but my husband didn't want to go back (neither did I) after the instructor started in with the breathing, which we both thought was goofy. I read through the book twice, tried perineal massage once, and we never practiced the relaxation stuff. My husband skimmed it and decided she was too militant about intervention. How's that for preparation? I never went to any Bradley classes and I had an OB that talked about "those Bradley people," but I made it through an unmedicated hospital birth just fine. Nyah to my OB

Ditto the suggestion about having a birth plan and talking to your doctor in advance, though. Mine wasn't on call when I had my son, and I had to argue with the fill-in guy about episiotomy, but I got to offer to kick him in the head if he poked me again while he was stitching me up, so I felt better. The most important detail in the whole Bradley book was the part about staying out of your body's way during first-stage labor...I found that to be extremely accurate. I'd also suggest asking if the nurse is willing to do perineal massage. Mine had never done it, so I was her test case. I gave her feedback, and she was an old pro by the time we were done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.