Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new urban gardener borrowing dirt in my neighbor's backyard. I put lots of herbs and strawberry plants in the ground about a month ago. (A couple of strawberries are ripening on the vine as I type. Yea!)

Today my dds and I plopped little lettuce and radish seeds right into the ground, and I was thinking of planting pumpkins and squashes tomorrow. Am I too late to be doing this? I'm in Chicago, which I think is between two zones.

My very experienced gardening neighbor is out of town for a couple of weeks, and unavailable for my hairbrained/greenhorn questions. So help/encouragement/etc... are much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Summer squash, fast grower, no problem, plenty of time

Pumpkins iffy. Baby, small, medium, large, or extra large? Let them grow no matter what, you might not have pumpkins at the "normal" harvest time, but you should still get something before Fall is over. Even if they are a large variety and still green at Halloween, I really like green pumpkins on Halloween, something so cool about that
Also, most of the pumpkin seed packets are aimed for harvest for September, early October (in the midwest), for the markets. So, some of those dates just do not apply to normal gardeners

The only problem with the lettuce and radish seed is that both get bitter and/or hot, very quickly in hot weather. The solution is to harvest both at very young, baby age. Super delicious
Yeah, it's small, but when it's homegrown greens, the flavor difference is so dramatic, the amounts can be smaller, no problem
Then, plant those same crops Mid to end of August for fall harvest at full size

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You can also think about planting another batch of seeds in early or mid August, which will be ready for harvest in the fall. I am planning this with some beans and peas that are labelled as having "a few degrees of frost tolernace" on the package, so that we still have fresh "summer" vegetables in October!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.