Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm not due until end of August , but my first came at 36wks, so I have no idea wht to expect with this one.

My mother was supposed to be flying out from California to help me. It turns out that DH (an airline pilot) will be out of town for MOST of the last 2 weeks of July (when I'm 36-37 wks), we don't know about August yet, but probably more of the same.. I have a 2yr old and I'm really tired already. It's really hot here and I think I'm gonna go crazy at the end of next month, not to mention if I make it all the way to end of August!

My dilema is if my mother isn't coming to help me now (whole 'nother issue), and DH is gone so much, who will be with me at the birth center? I have a very trusted neighbor to take DD if needed, but then she can't be with me.

I'm doing hypnobabies. I would really like a reliable support person there with me. I was thinking even if DH is there for the birth, that a doula would be great at taking the pressure of DH so he can enjoy the birth too.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
DEFINITELY get a doula!

I bet there are plenty who would take you on even at this point, but you will have to find a way to put some time in with the person you hire very quickly, so that she can get to know you, what you want, help you formulate a plan, etc. You may need to find someone to watch your DD while you meet with your doula once or twice to accomplish this, but definitely try!!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Absolutely not too late! When I realized my sister (she's a doula/midwife) wasn't going to make it to my second birth, I hired two local doulas at 36 weeks - two weeks before my son was born. They came to my house for us to meet, and we hit it off very well. I kept in touch with them by phone, and two weeks later they both attended the birth. They were wonderful and I'm so glad I hired them! I had thought it might be weird to have a virtual stranger there, since I wouldn't have time to really build up much of a relationship, but it really turned out well.

Do you want your DD to come to the birth center with you? Can this trusted neighbor or another friend come along? I highly suggest if you have your child present for the birth that you have someone there who is solely responsible for taking care of her. If you hire a doula, she will be attending YOU and you still need someone else to attend your DD. That way, if things get intense and DD needs/wants to leave the room, she can and you know she is taken care of.

I sure hope it works out that your DH doesn't miss the birth, though!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have been hired three times the week before mom was induced ( twice it was 24 hours before). It can be done
. These were "emergency" inductions (?) ie: mom went in for a normal Dr. appt and Dr. saw low amniotic fluid or big baby and so mom was induced within 24 hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts