Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Store them in a cool dark place nowhere near onions/garlic (not in plastic... loose or on newspaper). They should last a good long time without freezing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastrid View Post
Not near onions? What does that do?
Onions and garlic release a chemical that causes potatoes to ripen/soften/grow!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post

IMO potato items really don't freeze well.
The only thing that I have found freezes okay with potatoes is my potato kale soup. Its a base of chicken stock pureed with onion, garlic, potato, and carrots, then I add in chopped kale and sometimes sausage. You can freeze it, mostly defrost it, then heat on the stove with some added cream or coconut milk (yes it works!). Its not as good as fresh, but it works really well. You HAVE to add the cream or coconut milk to smooth it back out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
IMO potato items really don't freeze well.
I agree on that. I have tried freezing potatoes cooked or raw but they lost taste and texture.
Maybe you could dry some of them and use later in soups, purees etc and store some of them as pp mentioned?

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
The only thing that I have found freezes okay with potatoes is my potato kale soup. Its a base of chicken stock pureed with onion, garlic, potato, and carrots, then I add in chopped kale and sometimes sausage. You can freeze it, mostly defrost it, then heat on the stove with some added cream or coconut milk (yes it works!). Its not as good as fresh, but it works really well. You HAVE to add the cream or coconut milk to smooth it back out.

That sounds like a yummy soup

·
Registered
464 Posts
You most certainly can freeze somc types of potato items. For example, I make a potato soup recipe that uses left over mashed potatoes. I always make lots of extra mashed potatoes to freeze. I reuse them for items such as my soup or shepard's pie.

I don't see why you couldn't fry little potato patties as well and serve for breakfast...or whenever!

Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Depending on the type of potato (variety) they may or may not freeze ok. I have frozen soups- chicken and beef with potato in them- and the potato got... funny for lack of a better word- don't want to exactly say mushy, but the texture definately changed in a NOT appealing way. However, I have frozen a cheesey potato casserole I made with YUKON GOLD potatoes- and it reheated wonderfully with no change in the texture of the potatoes.

So my suggestion is put the potatoes in a cool dark place- basement, garage, think I read somewhere even under the bed works- be sure they can get air circulation. They should keep a good long time that way (my parents kept their harvest most of the winter by placing in a box in the basement. My mother in law keeps potatoes she has bought in the crisper drawer of a fridge- if you have room that works too.

Otherwise, make a small batch of something, eat some and freeze a small amount to see if these potatoes freeze well- if they do, go for it, if not,....

Brenda

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.