Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dd has hung 3 stockings. She says other kids in school are doing the same. So, she's getting a couple of big presents under the tree plus 2 books I had found on sale plus 3 stocking stuffers. I got the books because they were educational and something the family could read together in the holidays. One has word puzzles. I just feel it's a little too much even if the stocking stuffers aren't too expensive. The # of items is a lot and again it's not the price, it's just that I'd rather teach her moderation. Would it have been okay to leave a couple of her stockings empty?? Does that even happen? :eyesroll

·
Registered
404 Posts
Each person has 1 stocking in our house. If you want her to have 3 maybe say you can hang 3 but youre getting the same as 1 ill just spread it out over 3 stockings.

I get the too many presents. Thats one reason we try to set a budget and go for quality over quantity.

·
Registered
436 Posts
For similar things, I've basically told my daughter the other kids are lying. I phrase it nicely "hmm, that's unusual, I wonder why their family does it that way? Are you sure you heard them correctly?" but what I mean is "that's not happening."

If she's really convinced that's what the other kids are doing and it seems super important to her, get her new socks and undies and put them into the stockings as well as whatever you were already planning. And make one stocking the stocking SHE fills to give to children in need.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Everyone has different traditions. POSSIBLY kids have three stockings because one is for grandma, one is for auntie Jane, one is for cousin Joe, etc to fill?

I know growing up in our house santa would start visiting a 2 weeks before xmas and leave a stocking stuffer each day up until xmas?? it was the weirdest thing but thats how my mom did it. Other kids told me I was strange but again, it was my moms tradition and how things worked in HER house growing up. (they were super small $1-$2 things like a hair bow, nail polish, a sticker sheet, candy...)

Let her hang as many stockings as she has but 'santa' fills one? or santa can spread out the presents out this year- if you do santa. its xmas, there really isnt a correct way to do things.

FWIW I wrap everything- books, clothes, toys. IMO its xmas and it should be fun. again, my house, my way of doing things. everything is wrapped seperately.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If she's really convinced that's what the other kids are doing and it seems super important to her, get her new socks and undies and put them into the stockings as well as whatever you were already planning. And make one stocking the stocking SHE fills to give to children in need.

I am not sure how to implement the one She fills? She is expecting stuff for herself. Have you done it yourself? Btw, she still believes in Santa.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW I wrap everything- books, clothes, toys. IMO its xmas and it should be fun. again, my house, my way of doing things. everything is wrapped seperately.

Sorry, am I missing something? We also wrap, usually. Were you trying to say you don't use gift bags?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good ideas here. Thanks. I did get her stuff that I'd have to end up buying anyways later on. She has recently pierced her ears. I got her a nice pair of earrings which she would have asked me to buy anyways as she has been talking about earrings, but of course they'd have been of her choice. A cheap nail polish pack with her favorite color which also she has asked for, for a long time but I haven't bought it so far. Bummer I couldn't fit the books in any of the stockings. I think I am still going to put the two items into one stocking so she doesn't expect Santa is going to fill all the stockings from now on.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am not sure how to implement the one She fills? She is expecting stuff for herself. Have you done it yourself? Btw, she still believes in Santa.
I was thinking like she'd go through her current toys and put in ones she's done with to give away. For us we just say "for other children to enjoy" but with a Santa belief, I guess you could frame it as "for Santa to make nice for other children".

We talk about the environment and conserving resources around here, and my kid gets used stuff all the time. If Santa only does new stuff at your house, then I don't know how you could incorporate charity into Christmas effectively.

Oh, maybe a note from Santa about her helping the elves? "Please fill this up with the toys you think another child would love more to help us get ready for next year"?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking like she'd go through her current toys and put in ones she's done with to give away. For us we just say "for other children to enjoy" but with a Santa belief, I guess you could frame it as "for Santa to make nice for other children".

We talk about the environment and conserving resources around here, and my kid gets used stuff all the time. If Santa only does new stuff at your house, then I don't know how you could incorporate charity into Christmas effectively.

Oh, maybe a note from Santa about her helping the elves? "Please fill this up with the toys you think another child would love more to help us get ready for next year"?

Thanks. Talking about conserving resources we recently watched the documentary The True Cost on Netflix. It might interest you. But I'd first read about it online because it truly has some sad sweat shop scenes.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I'm just seeing this after Christmas. I think that hanging multiple stockings is a greedy move that could be cancelled out with the same strategy my friend's parents used when she left the Tooth Fairy a note that said, "Please give me a dollar or more."--next morning she found no money at all, only a note in tiny fairy writing: "Greedy little girls do not get gifts from the Tooth Fairy." Perhaps the extra stockings could contain notes from Santa about how Christmas is a time of generosity, so please sort out some things you don't need and give them to others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts