Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have to vent a little.
My husband is really getting on my case for being so tired and wanting to nap all the time. He thinks I am sleeping too much. Here is my schedule. I don't go to bed until around 2 am - because of work. Then I am up once or twice with my DD at night. Then I am up at 7:30 everyday with my DD. Ok, so that is about 5 hours of broken sleep. Then I nap when my DD naps - about 1 1/2 hours - so now we are at about 6 1/2 hours of broken sleep. Then, if I am lucky I will take a quick cat nap before I go to work at 10 pm. Plus, I am pregnant !!! Does that sound like too much sleep? I don't think so - not enough if you ask me!
Last week he asked me what is wrong with me - why am I so tired all the time. Then the other day he told me that maybe I have a thyroid problem because I am so tired all the time. Now that really chapped my hide when he said that!!!!!
He doesn't get it. Maybe he is thinking that I get a full nights sleep, then want to sleep all day. I have started a sleep log - so next time he says something about it, I can whip it out. Anyway... Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'd be mad, too! If I were getting as little sleep as you, I'd feel terrible all the time. Two nights ago, I got about 6.5 hours of broken sleep and felt awful when I woke up. After my morning class, I came home and slept for 3.5 hours (and then I felt better). Your husband should be amazed at how well you are functioning on not enough sleep!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've been sleeping 10 hours a night since I got my BFP.

Occasionally, I need a nap in the afternoon on top of it.

If I got as much sleep as you're getting, I'd be a dead woman. Seriously.

Give him a pregnancy book and tell him to read it while you go take a nap!

Christine

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You can share my sleep log with your dh

I go to sleep absolutely no later than 11pm. I usually wake up at 8am, but sometimes as late as 9.

At least 3 times a week I take an afternoon nap--sometimes an hour but usually 2 or more.

On the days I don't get a nap in, I often fall asleep on the couch after dinner (7-8pm,) and then go straight to bed when dh wakes me up.

I agree with everyone else--there's no way I could get by on your schedule.

ps-goodwin, I love it! "Creating a life is exhausting!"

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Your schedule sounds a lot like mine *before* I got pregnant again. If I tried to do that now, I'd get sick. Literally. Now I'm getting at least 7 hours most nights (often with one nursing session in the middle) and often napping for 1-2 hours when DD naps. And I'm still often tired. Broken sleep does not have nearly the benefits of a solid block of sleep, so you're definitely not getting all the rest you should.

Were I in your place, I don't think I'd have the grace to say anything more polite than "stuff it!" However, you seem like a more tolerant person than I, so perhaps the sleep log, combined with information about pregnancy-induced fatigue will get the doofus off your back.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I second and third what everyone is saying- I don't think I'd be as nice about my reply if my hubby said something like that. I do feel weird and guilty being tired all the time- sometimes I wonder if I'm just depressed or something (pre-pregnancy I averaged 5-6hours of sleep b/c I'm kindof an insomniac) Now I think I go at least 7 but if I skip work and let myself nap I do about 12- very uncharacteristic for me. I'm actually the one that's trying to learn how to give myself some slack on the sleeping issue. All things considered I think you are doing beyond great with amount of sleep you get- I feel like my daily performance over all has decreased ever since I got pregnant- but I'm still in the first trimester- I've only hear great things about the second trimester- so here's hoping.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm another one who is needing 10 hours per night now, plus sometimes napping 1-2 hours if DS naps.

Now, I always need about 9 hours per night to feel healthy, so I need more than most people generally, but I also think I came into this pregnancy in optimal sleeping shape, so I think I'm a tad less exhausted than I was with DS when I was working full time and getting 7-8 hours per night before pg.

--willo

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by willoLevin View Post
I'm another one who is needing 10 hours per night now, plus sometimes napping 1-2 hours if DS naps.
Me too. It sounds like you're not getting enough sleep! I can't believe he'd say you're sleeping too much!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Wow, I'd be livid.

I feel lucky now. My DH gets up in the night with our 14 mo old son, and lets me sleep in on the weekends. I really need at least 10 hours right now. If I nap with DS for an hour I can almost get that- but I'm honestly never caught up on sleep. The worst part of that is that nausea is worst for me when I'm tired, which is why I think I'm throwing up so much this time.

I was reading my journal from when I was pg with DS and I was talking about sleeping 12 hours a night. I literally flipped off my journal. LOL!

·
Registered
597 Posts
ooooooooo....
: our midwife held a little class for couples about early pregnancy a few weeks back and the way she went over the fatigue was,

"It's tough when you feel like you could sleep for 12 hours and then go home and take a nap"

guys dont get it no matter how hard you try to tell them, maybe he could talk to your provider and they could reassure him that you need MORE REST!!!!

Any chance he could get up with the baby during the night? My dp works all day and so I feel like its *great* for him to pick up some extra parenting tasks at night! lol... we also found that it was much easier for him to put our daughter back to bed then for me. He could do it much much MUCH quicker and it acctually helped her to sleep through the night. Now on the occasion she wakes up, although I usually hear her first, I just gently kick him till he hears her. Now he even gets up with her and makes her breakfast while I have another 1/2 hour of rest.

ALSO... last thing I swear... When I was pregnant with my first (I KNOW it's harder when you throw a second one in the mix) I also worked 10pm-2am... I would come home and sleep till about 10 am (8hrs) get up, eat some crackers, throw up and then take a nap from about 11:30-1:00 (another 1 1/2). I would also usually catch a nap before heading to work from about 7-9:30 (1 1/2) putting me at about 11hrs a day.... lol I know thats not an option with a little kid but that 10-2 schedule REALLY messes with you! tell him to lay off!!!!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Maybe you could bring him to a doctor/MW appointment and she could tell him just how much sleep you need. At our last MW appointment the MW told DP to make sure I was staying hydrated and getting plenty of rest. It made him more sympathetic to my laziness and he stopped asking me if I wanted to go out for a walk all the time. Your body is doing some serious work right now so you need to get as much rest as possible and let your body build the baby.

·
Registered
184 Posts
jilian, that is funny, my DP was doing the same thing. every 5 minutes asking if i wanted to go for a walk when all i wanted to do was lie down.

then it was "do you want to eat some meat? fish?" anything with protein. and it all made me want to yack.

he is trying to be involved though. it is cute.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My sleep needs have increased as well. Like other pp have said, it takes a lot for our bodies to create the baby growing inside!

And it sounds like you do need more sleep! Maybe you should let me read the replies here?
:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts