Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so frustrated because my red-headed, fair-skinned DS is getting too much sun. I keep him out of it as much as possible, and when we're gong to be out for more than 15 minutes, I slather on the sunscreen, but he *still* burns! Yesterday, we walked downtown with DS in the stroller, with the sun-shade up, sunscreen slathered on, and his arms and face are burned. I don't get it! He was in stroller almost the whole time (he took a 2 1/2 hour nap in it) and the sun didn't appear to be on him. All I can figure is just enough sun got through the little window in the sun-shade to burn him (it's there to see the baby I guess).

Both DH and I are fair-skinned and have to deal with all of this, but not to this extent. I lived in Florida when was a kid and all my mom had to do was put sun-screen on me and I was good to go. Sure, I had a few burns, but it was always when I didn't reapply. So why in the heck does DS get burned with sun-screen and while sitting in the shade?!

I think all the little freckles he's getting are adorable, but I also know that it means he's getting sun-damage.

Ok, this is partly a vent and partly a cry out for suggestions so suggest away.
What do I do with this child?

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
A lot of sun reflects UP off pavement, water, etc. (The worst sunburn I've EVER seen was my brother's when he was in a metal canoe, on water for 4 hours with no sunscreen - his feet burned so badly they blistered! -- it was the reflection that did that. )

What kind of sunscreen are you using? It needs to be pretty strong for the fair skinned (I know, my whole family is too). And you need to use a lot.

It also needs to be on 20-30 minutes BEFORE sun exposure to do it's best work. We routinely apply sunscreen in the morning when getting dressed, before we go out and then again in the afternoon. If you're going to be out, period, he needs sunscreen. Every day. Cloudy days. Sunny days. In between days. Even if it's less than 15 minutes. Make it part of your daily ritual.

There are some natural ones (can't remember right now and I need to go teach in 2 minutes) that aren't absorbed into the skin and create a physical barrier -- maybe better for your baby?

What about the outfits that you can get that protect against UVA rays?

Make sure he has a hat to protect his face.

That's all I can think of now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
lots of empathy here! my dd is a fair skinned red head while my other two are brunette and blond and tan deep brown even through sun screen over the summer. if i forget to cover them up before we head to the beach you wouldn't even be able to tell, but my girl is pink in minutes. my hubby is the red head and reminds me to cover her ahead of time.

i notice that besides burning she just doesn't handle heat as well as my older kids. she turns pink and sweaty and gets pretty crabby when it's hot. this year i got baby aveeno which is a 45 spf and goes on nice and thick. we also try to stick to the shade whenever possible and she wears a sun bonnet every where.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts