Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am the momma of two beautiful little girls...one in 2.5 M and the other is 3 yrs. We are in a tandem relationship. since the birth of my younger daughter, my older daughter has gained 10 pounds. She looks like a young nursling all round and pudgy. I wasn't too worried as she did loose all of that nursing weight as she aged, but now, I am getting a lot of pressure from my relatives to wean because of the weight gain.

I guess I am looking for affirmation...did this happen to you? did the weight eventually plateau? I am planning to CLW both girls, but I do worry about the excessive amount of weight. is it normal? or just too much?

what was your experiences?

thanks for the thoughts...

·
Registered
480 Posts
If it were me I would have that checked by the the ped 10 pounds its a lot of weight for a 3 year old in 2.5 months and I dont think your milk is to blame.

But thats my personal opinion and It seems like I'm always wrong around here

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
nak
my older nursling is gaining weight too but she was skinny so it's a good thing!
i remember reading somewhere that it's ok for them to put on weight like that since it is from bm. the source (think it was adventures in tandem nursing) said as your milk changes the weight gain will slow down. as a side note - there is a tandem mama tribe thread in the regular breastfeeding forum - you should check it out - great bunch of ladies and support!
:

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
The weight gain and then add newly loose again stools that can throw toilet learning for a loop!

You are not alone momma and I would think that she might naturally cut back on some of her nursing and your milk will always be changing so that things should balance out sooner or later. Some toddlers are just so infatuated with the bountiful milk supply after a baby is born.
If she is otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry. Just be proud of your wonderful and amazing body (and daughters)!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You are not along my DS is 4 months and DD 28 months. Since DS was born DD has put on 8lbs and has become very round and chubby. I too have recieved flack from my grandma in particular about her weight gain but I believe it is fine it is fat fromm a good source.
HTH
Krista

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My older DD gained 8 lbs in 4 months after DD2 was born. And she wasn't nursing! She weaned 2 months before DD2 arrived.

She went from 24 to 31 lbs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the responses.
Deep down I know she is normal and fine..but, you know..you take your chubby little tandem queen to library time and she just looks so round compared to all of the others and you wonder a bit...ya know..and, my parents are coming up for a visit and it is stressing me out because well..."she doesn't need it anymore" they say. But, I read somewhere here at MDC that it is our relationship and it should be respected...so, I think I will go with that.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnviolet View Post
... it is our relationship and it should be respected...
That is a very nice comment to keep handy. I like it. I hope your parents respect the space (and quiet) you are asking for.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My son gained about 6 or 8 lb in just a few months after the birth of his sister too. Once I was no longer pregnant and had lots of milk again, he really stepped up his nursing for a bit those first few weeks. After about 2-3 months, I started setting more limits on him again for my own sanity and his weight tapered back (actually it stayed the same while he grew taller). So I bet it is just the adjustment to having a new baby plus mom having lots of milk again. It DOES taper off though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.