Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there -

I took my triplets off Dairy recently as a response to constant, chronic and increasingly severe upper respiratory problems.

Taking them OFF dairy has not been a big deal at all.

But replacing the fats in their diet has been! I just realized how much of the fat in their diet was milk-based - i.e. whole milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc.

Now What? (FYI - they refuse to eat Avocado?)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Learning
Coconut milk is good and loads of good fat. We make coconut milk ice cream and I add it to rice milk.
Add coconut milk to their rice or almond milk?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Learning
Coconut milk is good and loads of good fat. We make coconut milk ice cream and I add it to rice milk.
Add coconut milk to their rice or almond milk?

Like how much is enough of a fat-boosting intake in a day . .

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Coconut milk (makes great smoothies), oils (olive, safflower, etc.), olives, nut butters, and avocados have been big hits with dd when we went dairy-free with her.

You can freeze avocado and banana and then blend them together in equal portions for a great rich "ice cream."

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasciate
Do they have nut allergies? Nuts/nutbutters are full of good fat.
We do feed them a fair amount of nut butters . . . but how much is enough to replace the fat they were getting in the recommended milk servings? My kids were BIG milk drinkers prior to . . .

·
Registered
568 Posts
You can add things like olive and flax seed oil to their food. Both are excellent fats with other benefits as well. I also use toasted sesame oil to season ds' meals. Do your kids like hummus? That's pretty fatty, too. And if they eat fish, sardines and salmon are good sources of omega three fatty acids.

I wouldn't worry so much about trying to replace the exact amount of fat, though. As long as they are eating the recommended quantity of fat for their age, they should be fine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My ds is allergic to dairy, eggs and peanuts. I give him rice milk (I add a protein powder, though I know some folks add oil to it), soy yogurt, occasionally soy milk, and if you feel comfortable giving soy, tofutti and other soy "ice creams" are a good source of fat. I put flaxseed oil, among other things in his yogurt to pack it with nutrients. I make rice pudding with coconut milk (yum!), I give him cod liver oil daily, and things like potato chips - only ingredients are potatoes, sunflower oil and salt (<-- low sodium variety). I do my darndest to make sure there is 0% trans fats, but sometimes a Ritz cracker is a good thing.

You can also add a touch of oil to things like apple sauce, tomato sauce... basically anything you think you can get away with. Start out with a small amount to make sure they will eat it.

Smoothies are a great thing too. Put whatever fruit they like, rice or soy milk/yogurt, and things like flaxseed (oil or seed), nutritional yeast, etc.

Also Earth's Best spread is a yummy dairy free "margarine" but more healthy than the average variety and it's a good source of fat.

Once you start getting used to reading labels, you can choose which has the better quality fats. Also, if you are elimating all dairy, watch for casein and whey as ingredients in things, esp. baked goods.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'd like to get my dd on just rice milk too (she's 18 months)... she's on soy right now (she can't do cows milk or goats milk...) and it gives her runny BM's.

How much fat should they be getting in their diet at that age? She does eat nutbutters, she gets CLO every day, and I could probably slip some flax oil in there somewhere... but what's a decent fat intake?

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
They should be getting up to 40% of their calories from fat at that age, and fats that we adults would consider bad. They are building brain cells and need it. The nutbutters are awesome, 100 cal per Tablespoon. You can mix olive oil into some foods (120 cals per T), and slather their breads or muffins or pancakes in non-dairy margarine.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
They should be getting up to 40% of their calories from fat at that age, and fats that we adults would consider bad. They are building brain cells and need it. The nutbutters are awesome, 100 cal per Tablespoon. You can mix olive oil into some foods (120 cals per T), and slather their breads or muffins or pancakes in non-dairy margarine.
Can anyone quantify this for me in terms of amount? Like ___ Tablespoons of oil per day?

I'm having a hard time figuring this out on a practical daily life level.

thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
According to Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food the average daily rec. fat should be:

0-6 mo (13 lbs) 25-40 fat grams
6-12 mo (20 lbs) 33-52 fat grams
1-3 years (29 lbs) 50-79 fat grams

Obviously this is a very loose scale but it will give you some idea...
Her book goes into great detail about caloric needs, how to calculate how many calories your dc needs based on their weight/age... good sources of fat, protein, recipes, when to offer which foods, how much to give, etc., etc., I love her book and refer to it very often.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
My 22m DD gets fat from breastmilk, eggs, almond butter ("aw-bar"), and cooking oils (in muffins, granola, dinner, etc.). Also, we used this spiked mix in her sippy cup:

4 oz. juice (orange or concord grape)
4 oz. spring water
2 tsp. omega-3 oils

We get the omega-3 oil at our grocery store; it's made by ChildLife and has pumpkin, sunflower, and flax oil, and it's flavored with (natural) butterscotch. 2 tsp. of the stuff has 9 grams of fat, so while it's not enough for the day, it's a healthy start.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
From the stealth nutrition files: you can also make a great "pudding" with avocado, very ripe banana, some honey, and cocoa/carob powder. Whiz it together (a hand blender works best here), hand it over, and stand back.
My little guy doesn't like avocado either, but he gobbles this down like there's no tomorrow.

Good luck. I work hard at packing fat and calories into my skinny little fella.
I know it's not easy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.