Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mamas! I am in a Pickle!<br><br>
So I have 8 smallish Mercury fillings left. I cracked a tooth with one of them. Now food always gets stuck there & it hurts even with diligent cleaning. I have a 5 week old nursing infant. I see an IAOMT dentist who is amazing.<br><br>
His suggestion is to pump, get the tooth fixed and then pump & dump for three days. If I am going to do all that, I am considering taking care of the mercury on that whole side of my mouth. I wanted to<br>
wait until 6 months or so, but the tooth is keeping me up at night so I don't think I can wait at least to deal with that one.<br><br>
I have so many questions!<br><br>
How much should I pump? (Often & amount)<br>
What bottle will cause the least nipple confusion?<br>
Will my baby even take it?<br>
Will taking out 4 mercury fillings but not all 8 cause an immune response to the Mercury?<br>
Will taking out all of them cause some type of Mercury dump?<br><br>
I need any and all help! There isn't much way around dealing with this that I can see. I am going to wait at least until 6 weeks, but am considering getting the (hospital grade) pump now. Also I am thinking of using a wet nurse if I can find one!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi -<br>
I would only do the filling that is causing problems. I would leave all the rest. Each filling will add to your body's mercury burden. Three days would be minimum and your babe is so small.<br><br>
Pumping depends on how often your babe is currently nursing. I would pump after each nursing session and then pick two times / day where you pump. This should increase your overall supply.<br><br>
For me, I nursed every three hours. She probably drank 1-2 ounces/ nursing session at that time. Using this formula, I would plan on 2 ounces * 7 feedings/24 hours or 14 ounces per day. Then I'd probably add extra.<br><br>
We used Dr Brown's glass bottles with the nipples that came with that bottle.<br><br>
Renting the hospital pump is an excellent idea. It cost me $55/month and I was assured that it was a working high quality pump.<br><br>
Finding a wet nurse - or fellow nursing mom willing to donate is also a good idea, just as long as she has enough for both. I did use <a href="http://www.milkshare.com" target="_blank">www.milkshare.com</a> for donor milk when I needed it although there are more ppl looking for milk vs those donating.<br><br>
I still would suggest removing just 1 filling.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In further reading I found this article;<br><a href="http://www.iabdm.org/cms/index.php?id=64&tx_ttnews" target="_blank">http://www.iabdm.org/cms/index.php?id=64&tx_ttnews</a>[tt_news]=2&tx_ttnews[year]=2008&tx_ttnews[month]=07&tx_ttnews[day]=31&cHash=b2ab11728a<br><br>
Key sentences:<br>
it is rarely-to-never deemed appropriate to start a mercury/silver filling removal program for this population. The damage to the fetus or newborn could be irreversible, especially when appropriate protection and detoxification protocols are not in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts