Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with the top tether once FFing? I have DS in a Regent in my car and a Nautilus in my mom's car, using the seatbelt for both and not lower LATCH. Right now the Regent has the top tether hooked to the rear anchor behind the seat (in the cargo area) and the my mom's car has no LATCH so it was hooked to the rear cargo hook (which I immediately put the kibosh because uh hello? Why would that be okay?).<br><br>
So, where should it be? Should I top tether in my car with the LATCH? Is DS unsafe in my mom's car if it can't be tethered? If he isn't tethered (in one or both) what keeps him from flying forward? Should I put him outboard in my mom's car so it isn't just a lap belt holding him in...i guess I'm thinking that the shoulder belt being there would "anchor" the top of the seat somewhat.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
For forward facing, you can only attach the top teather to an approved anchor point, this will be in your car's manual and is often marked with a little picture of an anchor/carseat.<br><br>
You can NOT attach it to a cargo hook or any other random place.<br><br>
If you have a top teather point, then you should use it for sure! It doesnt matter weather the seat is installed with the lower LATCH or the seatbelt (lap/shoulder or just lap)<br><br><br>
If you dont have one, then you can get one installed. Often its free/cheap. Just contact your car dealership.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Here is some more info on top teathers<br><br><a href="http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html" target="_blank">http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html</a>

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Top tethers are actually required by law in Canada.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
A Regent must be tethered after 48# or 50#, depending on installation method.<br><br>
Tethering is always preferable, but seats must pass using lap belt only and no top tether.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts