Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave her my PIS when she had her first. She got some REALLY bad advice ( from an LC that agreed with the ancient oldschool dr too) Like it was ok in those first two weeks to supplement with formula while she was trying to build up her supply! ( she had to return to work at 4 wks pp)
She wants to try again with the new one and said she would be calling on me -at this point I doubt it but if she does I am torn
I would give her the same stuff I gave her before that the dr told her was bs...
( and gave her a HUGE can of enfamil after the baby being diagnosed FTT thanks in part to HIM)
I am not real close to her as it is but if she comes asking again I don't know if it is worth the time knowing that as soon as he tells her "you can't bf you couldn't before" she will believe it
Her family was raised that dr=god and is ALWAYS right and has the last word...

But her sister and I didn't have problems and I would hate to see her just quit outright after the first try ...

WWYD?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Do they equate ALL Drs. with gods or only thiers? If they think all docs are right then perhaps you can give her some literature or books from a doc who is very pro-bf, such as Sears? I don;t know what to tell you. There are a couple of girls at my work who are pg, but they seem like they wil probably consider me a nosy know it all and do it their own way anyway. These are their first children and one has already expressed negative sentiments about bf;ing after seeing me nip once(she said it was disgusting and I had my boob out foir the whole world to see). I talked to the dh of the other(he works there too) and he did not seem to recpetive to the idea of bf, though he is trying to talk her out of circumcising(they found out it s a boy). I am going to give her some back issues of mags I have and throw in some printed info I got off Promom. I guess we can only cross our fingers and know we did what we could and it is better than nothing. I know how you feel though. It will almost hurt my feelings to see these moms I know not even try.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know if a subscription to Mothering is that great of an idea. I'm pretty AP and I shy away from it (although I love the message boards!) I think it's a little extreme for someone who is mainstream and thinks of all doctors as G-ds. I'd give her something more middle of the Road...A Dr. Sears book or maybe Elizabeth Pantley?

I do think you should help if she asks. Maybe this time things will work out.

Dina

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It's a wonderful book that has good pratical advice for working and pumping.

So that's what they're for is also a good easy read.

Maybe a bf care package as a shower gift? (nursing pads, mothers milk tea, books, etc).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I just went thru this. My nephew is a week old, and BIL "decided" over the weekend that nephew didn't "like" breastfeeding, and the he was going to WIC to get formula on Monday. He did. So for no good reason at all, my dear sweet nephew is now on formula. I blame my MIL, for making my BIL think the way he does.

I did everything non-obtrusive that I could. I gave SIL a Medela Handpump, bought nursing pads, gave her "The womanly art of breastfeeding", a boppy pillow, everything. I talked to her on Sunday, and he had been nursing fine, just wanted to do it all the time(um, VERY normal for those first few weeks, which I told her) I went over there yesterday, and she admitted to me that she's done.

I should've known though, BIL thinks it's "gross". He even freaked out when I fed my son at his house, and I wasn't even in the same room as he was. I'm just so frustrated at this way of thinking. At least my nephew got breastmilk for 6 days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts