Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tornado warning in NYC today... and in surrounding areas...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...manhattan.html

My family and I were in a small resteraunt waiting for our dinner when the storm hit. No tornado where we were (Pelham- Southern Westchester), but quite alot of hail, about 6-8 inches of water on the roads and lightening every couple of seconds. Very greenish/grey sky, you could smell it in the air. Anyone else in the area?

· Registered
15,250 Posts
Are tornado's not common in the area? I remember my aunt visiting from the Poughkeepsie area (I so had to google that for spelling) during my granfather's funeral. She was upset becuase she had left her kids at home with her husband and there was a tornado warning then. I know that is a bit from the city... but I always thought tornado's were common in NY.

· Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Are tornado's not common in the area? I remember my aunt visiting from the Poughkeepsie area (I so had to google that for spelling) during my granfather's funeral. She was upset becuase she had left her kids at home with her husband and there was a tornado warning then. I know that is a bit from the city... but I always thought tornado's were common in NY.
Common in upper New York (and in Western MA where I grew up- that's how I knew what it was- me and kids ran to the resteraunt while Hubby mosied his way slowly down the street to the resteraunt
- resteraunt had tv's set to the NYC weather station showing the sky above NYC- really cool and scary), but we've never had one in the area I'm in (30 miles North or NYC) and I've never, ever heard of one in NYC.

· Registered
3,514 Posts
Yeah, I've never heard of one in NYC either. I would think the wind patterns due to the skyscrapers would make it pretty much not possible in Manhattan proper, personally. Queens, parts of Brooklyn, and Bronx, that I can imagine.

· Registered
3,514 Posts

· Registered
3,514 Posts
Okay, but the myths page isn't very useful for Manhattan. Where is "tornado alley" exactly? I don't think New York is in it. That page even says there is a protective effect for skyscraper areas with small tornadoes. I can't find anything showing that a tornado of any scope has ever hit Manhattan any time in recorded history. I'm not saying it could never ever happen, but I'm more worried about a hurricane and flooding (and a dozen things more likely than that too), than a tornado, and you know, I live here.

· Premium Member
41,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Okay, but the myths page isn't very useful for Manhattan. Where is "tornado alley" exactly? I don't think New York is in it. That page even says there is a protective effect for skyscraper areas with small tornadoes. I can't find anything showing that a tornado of any scope has ever hit Manhattan any time in recorded history. I'm not saying it could never ever happen, but I'm more worried about a hurricane and flooding (and a dozen things more likely than that too), than a tornado, and you know, I live here.
Tornado Alley
http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/primer/torn...r_alley_lg.gif

I don't think the same rules apply.

· Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Sorry, but it sounds like a bit of a legend to me. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/08/ny...d-weather.html
This is an awkward statement and an uncomfprtable feeling. So I'm telling you what I saw on the local reputable news station (Channel 12 News, Westchester and surrounding areas), as well as I saw the familiar signs in the sky (no tornado, but the other signs) and you're telling me that I'm posting a "legend" or a "myth? Makes me feel like you're calling me a liar?

Quote:

I can't find anything showing that a tornado of any scope has ever hit Manhattan any time in recorded history. I'm not saying it could never ever happen, but I'm more worried about a hurricane and flooding (and a dozen things more likely than that too), than a tornado, and you know, I live here.
No, no tornado touched down, but the weatherman says there was a "rotating wall cloud" over NYC and there were a couple "funnel clouds that never touched the ground" in the surrounding areas. That is enough to set off a tornado warning, even if an actual tornado never touched the ground in NYC.

· Registered
3,514 Posts
I'm not saying you're a liar. I'm saying you weren't in Manhattan and that there was no tornado warning for Manhattan yesterday. (Daily News claims there was, but you know, they're not the most um.... reliable. Their site still says my family won a contest in May that we didn't win, for example.) Better news sources will show you that there was a warning only for NYC suburbs--Westchester and part of the far Bronx.

In westchester, there was a warning and green sky. You were there. Okay. I believe you. In Manhattan, there was not a warning, green sky, or hail. I was here.

Furthermore, from what I can find, there has never been any tornado that hit Manhattan ever. I think a Manhattan Tornado is a myth.

· Registered
10,708 Posts
Scholastic Weather Watch I sure hope this is a good source.

Quote:
Student: Can tornadoes happen anywhere? If so, how you don't hear about tornadoes in the mountains or in big cities like New York or San Francisco?
Gary Conte: Hi. YES, if the "right" weather ingredients come together, tornadoes can and do form anywhere.
Here are a few examples:
The last tornado to strike the NYC Metro Area occurred during July 7, 1976. An F1 tornado with estimated wind speeds up to 112 mph passed within 1/4 mile of the statue of liberty. Significant damage occurred in nearby urban areas. During the past few years, several tornadoes have struck U.S. cities such as Salt Lake City in Utah and Dallas in Texas.
As far as mountains go, in the late 1980's, a tornado swept through Yellowstone National Park leaving a path of destruction both UP and DOWN a 10,000-foot mountain.

I don't get why people think a tornado couldn't occur in Manhattan.
It's not like there is a protective bubble over it or something.

I can say without certainty that there has never been a tornado that has run a path through my grandmother's house, but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. It's not like a hurricane that needs a large body of water to feed off of.

· Registered
12,261 Posts
The "NYC metro area" is a biiiiiiig place.

And the Statue of Liberty isn't in Manhattan ... though the views of it are pretty good from there (Jersey City gives you much better views).

I remember in the summer of ?'86 I think it was, there were tornadoes near Manhattan ... the same night as a Dead show at Giants Stadium.

But in Manhattan? Can't say as I've ever heard of it.

· Registered
3,514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I don't get why people think a tornado couldn't occur in Manhattan.
It's not like there is a protective bubble over it or something.
I mean, I've not looked into it until yesterday. From the link you posted yesterday, there's a protective heat effect from large numbers of skyscrapers. And Manhattan is an island, so there's no place for it form "out of town" and then come into town as that same site yesterday described for towns in tornado alley. That "tornado myths" site starts off that #3 myth with "well, there's a kernel of truth in the idea that they don't strike in some areas...."

So... I dunno. I don't think it's a risk to worry about in Manhattan. Like I said, there are enough other far more likely ones IMO. I am, for example, in a designated flood warning zone.

· Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

In westchester, there was a warning and green sky. You were there. Okay. I believe you. In Manhattan, there was not a warning, green sky, or hail. I was here.
Fair enough, but I was stating what the news channel was broadcasting while the tornado warning was going on. Whether or not they were correct or not, I don't know, but what I saw while watching the news was "Tornado Warning for Manhattan and surrounding areas". That would inply NYC, wouldn't you think?

· Registered
15,250 Posts
Quote:
Student: Can tornadoes happen anywhere? If so, how you don't hear about tornadoes in the mountains or in big cities like New York or San Francisco?
Tornado's in California are VERY rare. I wont say they never happen because they do. In late '96 one hit a cow in Manteca.

· Registered
10,708 Posts
Quote:

I mean, I've not looked into it until yesterday. From the link you posted yesterday, there's a protective heat effect from large numbers of skyscrapers. And Manhattan is an island, so there's no place for it form "out of town" and then come into town as that same site yesterday described for towns in tornado alley. That "tornado myths" site starts off that #3 myth with "well, there's a kernel of truth in the idea that they don't strike in some areas...."

So... I dunno. I don't think it's a risk to worry about in Manhattan. Like I said, there are enough other far more likely ones IMO. I am, for example, in a designated flood warning zone.
get w˙at you are sayng, but never say never.
wouldn't ˙ave guessed t˙at you would be n a flood warnng zone. Crazy and scary.

BTW, my laptop s totally screwed up now! As you can see, some keys are not workng.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.