Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's taken me awhile to join, but here i am. hello everyone.
i'm looking forward to discussions and chats - maybe even meeting some toronto mamas. i'm the first of my friends and immediate family to have a child so i've felt a bit isolated from other moms.
my son is 10 months and will be starting daycare next month. i'm going back to work in august but we got the spot for july and couldn't pass it up. i dread the thought of going back, i never really saw myself as a sahm but now it's what i'd love to do more than anything. any other mamas going through some separation anxiety of their own?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually live right by there too. ds and i were there yesterday - had him wetting his feet in the wading pool and then went and checked out the farmer's market. it did make me pine for some mama friends, though - thanks for the offer!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
1-1/2 years ago I feared what you are going through tuesdaymax and when I saw my liitle girl very much needing me, I simply could not leave. I might have taken a part-time job during my DP's off hours, but with his shift work at the time, it was not feasible. Now of course I have a new little rascal (8 months) and I definately know that he needs me too. I can't imagine missing out on these crucial developmental phases he is going through so frequently.

As for the money: Iiving on one income has meant that we had to change our lifestyle a bit, which really was not a big deal when we put our minds to it (especially when you factor in the benefits). Ever since my son was born, my DP has been on parental leave (yes he has been off from work for 8 months
. That means we are living off 55%
Believe it or not, we are thriving (this is like single income minimum wage for us). The kids love having us both around and I feel I have my sanity despite two younglings!

I think a big reason why I the decision to be a SAHM was so easy for me was because I have only ever heard older mothers say how they regreted not taking time off to be with their kids when they were young. They have all echoed the same sentiment -- what work is more important than raising children? They are the future.

Anyway tuesdaymax I hope I didn't make you feel awkward. Just telling you what my experience has been. Some kids handle separation better than others too so the decision is very individual to your family needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry it took so long for me to reply, siana. your post didn't make me feel awkward at all. but i am wondering what you mean when you say that you and your husband had to change your lifestyle for you to be able to stay at home. dh and i are nowhere near where we need/want to be in terms of stability. we're still renting, both just starting out in our respective careers, don't have much in terms of a savings account...
i'd definitely postpone the career to stay home with ds, but what is too small an income? any insight? can you give me any specific things you guys did to make the one income thing work for you?
i've always tried to live my life without any regrets, and i know i'll regret not being around for ds this early. i just really feel like we don't have any options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.