Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I cannot seem to make these without filling the house with smoke and then they don't turn out very good tasting either and are greasy
. Does anyone have any pointers? I am using a cast iron skillet(I don't have a griddle or other non-sided pan) on an electric stove. I am tired of buying so many every week as we eat a lot of dishes tortilla's go really well with and I like having bread with my meals and there are meals that biscuits and loaf breads just don't go with the same.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Lets start with what recipe you're using, since that's probably at the root of the problem. Are you making flour or corn?

Now you say that they're greasy... Are you cooking them in oil? You should be cooking them in a dry pan.

Do you have a range vent hood? If you do, turn it on before you start. If you don't, do you have a window in the kitchen? I wound up having to get one of these because we don't have a range vent hood. I cooked all of Thanksgiving dinner with it on, it's so quiet I don't even notice it, but the rest of the house didn't get a breath of smoke in it (before I would set off the smoke detectors in the rest of the house).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using flour, touch of salt, touch of lard and water. I use more of the flour ones as we have moderate corn allergies in the house so I have to limit the amount of corn that I use. I don't like using the lard...hmm a dry pan?

Unfortunately I have no vent/hood I do open the window at times but it only seems to help some, think I have too many plants in front of it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do any of you have a recipe that you would be willing to share?

Just talked to my mom seems she has a cast iron griddle type pan just sitting in her cupboard gathering dust she's willing to let me have.
Going to try again in a few minutes I really want to make a decent tortilla,really like to make a good one but shooting for decent first

And thank you all very much

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
This is the recipe that I've used successfully in the past.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I love these! I am new to tortilla making and these always turn out great!

4 cups unbleached flour
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup olive oil
1 cup hot water (maybe a touch more if you need it)

I usually portion this into 14-16 balls, roll out thin and cook on a dry griddle.

I have tried these with some whole wheat flour and haven't had good results. I am buying a grain mill and hope to try again with fresh flour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.