Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do one of these to diagnose bf related intolerances? My boys have shown a dairy intolerance, but I know there is something else. They were up screaming until 11:00 last night. Not usual. I need some help figuring this out.

TIA!

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
i tried eliminating dairy for 2 weeks and then reintroduced it -- no change.
: at least i can have ice cream again.

the other contenders, in order of popularity, are:
soy
wheat
eggs
nuts
shellfish

GL!

wheat is next on my list to eliminate, but i just can't bear the thought. dairy was hard enough! anyone here eliminated wheat? and what did you eat instead?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll check out the allergy forum.

Piepie, as I recall, I think you would need to cut out dairy for at least a month. I finally noticed a difference when I cut it out entirely, including that little bit of butter, in my morning coffee, etc. Look for Whey and Sodium Casinate (sp?) on the list of ingrediants. My boys got better when I totally eliminated it.

Good luck to you! It will most likely get better on its own in a couple months.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm working my version of the elimination diet. Cow dairy was first to go and seemed effective but then something else clicked in, and severely. So I started eating only rice (no wheat, corn, oats, etc.), chicken (no turkey, pork, beef, etc.), non cole vegetables (no cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.), non citrus fruits (no pineapple, orange, tomato, etc.). Reading every label and being ruthless. Its a pretty rough way to go but its working!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm slowly and carefully adding in one food at a time. Last night I got soy ice cream!!!!!!!!! No reaction yet, so I think soy will return to the safe food list. Next stop, corn.... Wheat (and cheese) is really hard for me to stay away from, and has really taken some diligence to succeed. But I've found that pancakes cook up nicely when made with brown rice flour, and rice noodles are okay. And Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins is awesome breakfast cereal. I'd be happy to brainstorm this with you anytime- PM me if you want. The elimination diet has kind of taken over my life right now, but its working for my little girl and that's what matters.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I was eating turkey, chicken, carrots, pears, rice, and lettuce when I weaned Evan after his first birthday. It made a big difference in him, but I couldn't keep iy up after the awful year we had had. He was on rx formula till 2.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm currently eating quinoa, turkey, crookneck squash and cooked pears w/ sea salt, sucanat and canola oil. NOt fun but absolutely necessary for DD. I would however, go top 8 free before I considered a TED unless I had reason to suspect others. For us, we have a very extreme case where we appear to not tolerate even elemental (Rx) formula (We're still trialing our very last option). It depends on your level of commitment to BFing but its totally doable. Jenn (thepeach80) is a great resource as is POFAk (the link in the 2nd post)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.