Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just found out we're expecting Baby #3 and are considering doing the CD thing this time around. How many of which item and what sizes do I need to start out with?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There's a lot of answers to that question! Do you have an idea of what type of diapers you'd like to use? For fitteds or prefolds, I like to have about 2 dozen diapers for newborns/young infants and six covers. If you are using prefolds, you will be able to use the same infant prefolds for months, and will only need to stock up on different cover sizes. You could also go the route of a one size fitted or all AIO's or pockets. What size to start with really depends on the diaper. There are some brands where an extra small is too small for most newborns, and they could start in a small. Others, you'd be best to start with the newborn size if there is one. Have your other two kids been big babies, or average? That can help you figure out what to expect.

As for my favorites, I like using fitteds and covers with newborns. I find that they contain the poo better

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
nak

adding to the above info...www.greenmountaindiaper.com has a lot of info.

i would get the following if i were starting out:
diaper pail found a walmart
homemade wipes
wet bags; one for the diaper bag on short trips and a large one for weekend long outtings.
i prefer dritz pin, but many prefer snappis
prefolds are cheep and absorbant. i have converted some of mine into fitted for next to nothing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Congratulations!

There are so many options to cloth diapering now, it can get to be overwhelming, but don't panic. Diaper Pin is another great resource (www.diaperpin.com)

I have a 16-month-old that I didn't start cloth diapering until she was 13-months, and we're pregnant with #2. My dd is in fitteds and wool right now, and I'm going to keep that up with the next one. Because I'll have two in diapers, I'm going to use one-size fitteds, as well as a few newborn fitteds and prefolds as backup for the little one.

I've always heard 2-3 dozen diapers for a newborn. I'm also planning to have at least 6-8 covers. That's probably too many, but I just don't want to have to worry about washing them all the time if they get soiled.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I would say 3 dozen dipes of your preference, 1 dozen prefolds(these are good for backup if you are using fitteds, also good for spit up, and leaking boobies
), 3 doz wipes, and 6-8 covers. I would have 4 in nb and 4 in small. I use wool shorts/pants though, so making a small work is pretty easy. I had some days that we went through 20 dipes in 24 hours int he first few weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts