Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Vicky. I'm totaly new to all of this, so if I seemed confused its cause I am. First question.... Am I even in the right place. I want to start charting as a way not to get pregnant..... am I in the right place???? Or is this just for women who are trying to get pregnant???

I have decided that I don't want to take the pill any more. Ever since I started taking it, I havn't been in the mood as often and I just worry about some of the side effects.

Trying to figure out where all to start with this though. Should I do a practice chart for a month while still taking my pills- I know it would so not be correct since the pill is all fake crap anyways, but I didn't know if I should do it just to make sure that I get in the habit of tracking. Also, how long until I can rely on my chart.

Thanks so much!!!
Vicky

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
This is the right board. Welcome to MDC!

You should stop the pill now because the sooner your body recovers from the pill the sooner you'll be able to use FAM with confidence.

You should get the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler if you haven't already. She recommends waiting at least 2 cycles before starting to rely on FAM after birth control pills.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
You'll need to read TCYOF to make sure you're charting correctly, but once you have the hang of things, here's a summary of how you apply the rules:

1.You're safe the first 5 days of your cycle if you had an obvious temperature shift 12 to 16 days before (This lets you distinguish between menstration and ovulatory spotting)
2.Before ovulation you are safe the evening (after 6 p.m.) of every dry day.

After ovulation wait until both
3. The evening of the third consecutive day your temperature is above your coverline.
AND
4. The evening of the 4th consecutive day after your peak day.

In between confirmed ovulation and your period you don't need to worry about a bit of cervical fluid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So hubby and I sat down and talked last night. He isn't all into the whole charting thing as birth control
However, he does agree that the pills suck and that I shouldn't be taking them and that I shouldn't be putting that crap into my body. So he and I talked about a cervical cap.... anyone have one??? However, I'm still going to start charting. I mean, hell, its not gonna hurt you know, plus its good to get to know my body like that and it will help us when we do what to start haivng babies.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
my partner wasn't comfortable with charting at first either. We used condoms for three whole cycles and then sort of eased into having barrier free sex during the nonfertile time. I found that as my confidence in interpreting my chart grew, his confidence in the method grew too. Plus, showing him statistics on effectiveness helped. It would be great if your dh was open to learning to interpret your chart too, but not all men are interested at all in that. I found that when I was able to say "do you see how my temperature went up here and stayed up? that means that I've ovulated. Once I've ovulated the egg dies and I can no longer get pregnant this cycle" once he understood about it more he was ok with it.

I've never used a cervical cap. As far as I know you ahve to use spermicide with them, and I'm quite allergic. We use condoms during the fertile time.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
my dh was a little skeptical too. we still use condoms, but the longer i chart the more interested he gets. just the other day i yelled out (from the bathroom), "HEY! IT'S WORKING! MY CERVIX IS REALLY HIGHER THAN IT WAS YESTERDAY!! and what's this? my cervical mucus is LOTIONY!"

i could hear him cracking up in his office, but we talked about it later and he thinks it's really amazing the way we can tell what's going on on the inside....because there's proof.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awsome! So maybe there is hope for hubby some day

Now I have to stop being lazy and call the doc to schedual an appointment for a cap lol.... either that or use gross condoms- I hate them... I feel like they are literally ripping me apart on the inside. I just want off the pills!!!!!! Oh and my book should be here any day now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.