Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to find some tough jeans/pants for my almost 4 yr old<br><br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>
He keeps blowing out the knees.<br><br>
I have tried to repair them with those iron on patches and they fall off. I have made my own patches and it looks frayed within days (a serger is too much money for us right now).<br><br>
I have now cut off pant legs and made 2 pairs of his pants into shorts.<br>
I would really like to keep with the pants though. My little guys are so rough they are proned to get scratched up! I want to keep those knees covered.<br><br>
Anyone know of a good brand of jeans that already have that patch on them or that are strengthened in the knees?<br><br>
My BIL is a electrician/ handyman and he buys special pants that are really heavy duty and seem to have an extra layer around the knees, but I don't see them in kids sizes.<br><br>
Would a feed store sell this?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Look for reinforced knees. Carters or Lands End come to mind. My 2 yr old has some from Hanna he had on today. You can try the feed store for some heavy duty kids pants from Carhartt but I do not think they reinforce the knees.<br><br>
My 5 yr old has about 15 pairs of shorts. He goes through pants like candy and up until recently refused anything but sweats or "soft" pants.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sears carries a brand called Toughskins. They tend to be a bit heavier weight, and a few of their jeans have reinforced knees as well. This is what I found online, but they'd probably have more in the store.<br><br><a href="http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_040M1470000P?keyword=toughskins" target="_blank">http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ord=toughskins</a>

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Does having the knees ripped bother him? DS LOVES when his knees get holes or rips cause he thinks it looks more rock 'n roll. But they have to be fitted and/or flared and not baggy jeans, LOL. I've even caught him with scissors helping the tear along.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Lands End and LLbean have made them in past. I have not checked this season tho. I also have good luck with the Lands End overstocks so you might be able to find some on sale.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Options:<br><br>
1. Lands' End still makes the reinforced pants (sometimes called "climber" pants) and reinforced sweat pants. They do last longer.<br><br>
2. Sears has a program called "KidVantage" where if the child wears out the pants before they outgrow them, they'll replace them for free. I'm really sorry I didn't know this when ds was in his knee-destroying phase, we would have saved a TON of money!<br><br>
3. Live with them. My son's knees got pretty tough. We simply couldn't afford to keep replacing the pants. So, I kept a couple pairs for 'good' (church, when I actually cared), and the rest just had holes in them. Ds is turning 7, and I'm a bit nostalgic because he hasn't blown out the knees in a pair of pants in 6 months!<br><br>
4. Try ironing on patches on the inside of the pant BEFORE they get worn out. My son couldn't stand the feel of this, so we didn't do it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My older son always ends up with holes in the knees of his pants and jeans these days. I try to have him wear his play pants with holes when he's going to be doing a lot of rough play. That tends to be everyday, though, so it's tough to keep the "good" pants from getting holes, too. I'll have to check out the places that people have mentioned for reinforced knees. Hopefully such a thing as adjustable waist, reinforced knee pants exists. Although pretty soon he'll just be in shorts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts