Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see the reports that tourists have returned to the beaches, (Sumatra, Phuket) for their New Years' celebrations? Tourists complaining about accomodations to the staff?

And... some of the reports of how the hotels are accomodating them are making me sick.

:puke

The picture of sunbathers with corpses in the background....

· Registered
379 Posts
I know, I've seen (on TV) a woman on the beach in Phuket sunbathing between rubble as if nothing happened, just feels so weird, so disrespectful.

Yet, seems like tourists returning to the areas quickly is a form of aid.
I guess it's hard to know if you're not there.
And really, we go about our lives as if nothing happened, just sending some money and good thoughts that way.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, I can understand that in principal but NOT FOR HILTON HOTEL company. They can help FAR more than putting out cotton candy machines on their beaches for their guests.

They could pay their employees two weeks pay and let them rest. They could reimburse their guests fares and send them to another resort.

REALLY. These big hotel chains with TONS OF MONIES could respond differently, imo.

· Premium Member
4,303 Posts
you've got to be kidding right?

That's sick. That's appalling. These tourists should donate the money they'd spend at the resort to the relief efforts.... not on cotton candy.

Well, it's the tourists loss when they die of malaria if they sunbathe by dead corpses....

· Registered
701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotmamacita
Anyone see the reports that tourists have returned to the beaches, (Sumatra, Phuket) for their New Years' celebrations? Tourists complaining about accomodations to the staff?

Did you see this online? Just wondering if you could point me towards a link with this info.

Jill

· Registered
426 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JillChristina
Did you see this online? Just wondering if you could point me towards a link with this info.

Jill

I seen it on the NBC news tonight. People sunbathing while 100 yards/feet? away corpses were being cleaned up. Pretty sickening sight.

· Registered
6,286 Posts
Oh my gosh..... It's becoming obvious why countries hate the ones that can afford to do these kinds of things... At least show a little respect for the deceased!

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to say...I am so overwhelmed by all this that if we were planning to be on holiday there and THIS happened, I'd be inviting all sorts of people into my hotel room and I'd be spending my days helping the children there. And dh would be helping the local men rebuild. I'd stuff my bags full of clothes and necessities and take as many as the airlines would let me.

And if I really gave a CRAP about a tan, I'd do it all in a tank top and sarong. But probably not, b.c if I were in a Muslim nation, I'd show more respect than that.

Okay, can you tell I feel passionately about this?

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These people have an opportunity to Bless others with their ability to be there and their time and physical strength. Perhaps even their money. They just might be there for a reason and I pray that they decide to jump in and help. They would be so enriched and heartened by it. AND it is needed.

Don't you just want to scoop those children up and hold them and play with them? They have no idea what is happening.

· Registered
10,958 Posts
I saw the sunbathers on CNN, hanging out...

It is completely opposite of how my heart ticks.

I would immediately get a shovel and start helping. I would never consider returning back to 'tourist'. I would be helper and be tourist next summer some place else. but while I was there I would be doing anything to help.

tracy

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotmamacita
I have to say...I am so overwhelmed by all this that if we were planning to be on holiday there and THIS happened, I'd be inviting all sorts of people into my hotel room and I'd be spending my days helping the children there. And dh would be helping the local men rebuild. I'd stuff my bags full of clothes and necessities and take as many as the airlines would let me.

And if I really gave a CRAP about a tan, I'd do it all in a tank top and sarong. But probably not, b.c if I were in a Muslim nation, I'd show more respect than that.

Okay, can you tell I feel passionately about this?

same here

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy
I saw the sunbathers on CNN, hanging out...

It is completely opposite of how my heart ticks.

I would immediately get a shovel and start helping. I would never consider returning back to 'tourist'. I would be helper and be tourist next summer some place else. but while I was there I would be doing anything to help.

tracy
I hear ya'.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Check out the 12/31/04 cover of the New York Daily News (tabloid paper).
http://www.nydailynews.com/ - Ghouls Rush In

My sister is visiting from NYC and read this online to me during breakfast.

Quote:
An indignant Russian who arrived at the Novotel Phuket Resort on the day after the tsunami loudly complained that there was no champagne reception.

Quote:
Belgian tourist Desmet Romain, 42, questioned whether he should have stayed on despite all the death and misery.

But the prospect of missing the New Year's beach holiday he had been looking forward to all year was too much to bear.

"I didn't want to go back to Belgium where it is so cold," Romain said. "And in this hotel, it's like everything is totally normal."

Some Thais are amazed that the foreigners can be so insensitive to be sipping cocktails poolside while surrounded by death and grief.

"I think the people are good, but I don't know why they stay here now when we are so sad," a waiter at the Novotel said, asking that his name not be reported out of fear of losing his job.

I'm with Tracy too. If I were there (without kids) I'd be helping during my "vacation." No way in heck would I be on the beach.

Quote:
As bodies continue to wash up on Phuket's shores and are stacked in makeshift morgues, the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket is erecting big tents, installing cotton candy machines and bringing in caged animals in preparation for the gala New Year's Eve circus party it promised.

"We do want to keep it a happy theme," Sheraton marketing communications manager Zahid Ali said. "Our guests came here during the holidays and they do want to enjoy it."

· Registered
12,264 Posts
I agree it is surreal.

Maybe just maybe, the people sunbathing were just resting after several hours of helping with cleanup? Maybe one of them lost 2 or more family members and is dropping from exhaustion?
I have heard lots of stories of tourists pitching in and saving lives. A few selfish people, or people freaked out beyind all recognition, are also here. I prefer to focus on the heartening stories of compassion and selflessness.

We have to consider this. A huge percentage of Thailand's population is dependent on the tourism industry. Now, at this time, people need to hold on to their incomes. This is peak season. Working Thai adults make in 1/3 of the yr enough income for the other 2/3's.

Hotels a mile or so inland from the beaches are undamaged.

We can't bail out the Thai people with our million dollars here and there. They need their incomes. This happens to be their source of income. They don't want people to cancel their plans to go here for vacation! Now or next year.

· Registered
12,264 Posts
Just parroting what I heard on NPR, HMC.

BTW, Scandinavia, esp Sweden, has suffered a huge loss. Thousands of Swedish tourists are missing and probably dead in Thailand.

Quote:
With a population of only 9 million, Sweden's expected loss of life proportionately matches that of Indonesia, and is exceeded only by Sri Lanka
!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc...oll/index.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.