Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to move by july 1st and we have a possible apartment open to us over on botanical. my only concern is the school-maura is going to be going into 2nd grade, and although im more than willing to supplement and support her education at home, im not sure she or I are ready to homeschool this year.<br><br>
i'd really love to hear any first hand accounts of the elementary schools in the area.<br><br>
my main concerns about the school are:<br><br>
-she is very white(pale) and thanks to Lindbergh school district, has limited experience with a diverse population. i worry she will be singled out and may have a negative experience because of that (i myself went to a city school 25 years ago and i got beat up everyday for being the only non black kid in my 2nd grade class, id like to avoid that for her)<br><br>
-i worry the curriculum will not be up to speed with what she is used to at Lindbergh, and she may regress.<br><br>
-i worry that there may be more time spent managing the class, than on actual learning and that may negatively impact her as well<br><br><br>
all that being said, maura is an attentive, hardworking student who loves school and is the favorite of all her teachers. she is lauded for working above her level and showing a learning maturity and is extremely caring and fair to her classmates. i feel most of this is a result of her nature and her upbringing, but im sure some of it is also due to her school environment, and i want to continue to encourage these behaviors to thrive.<br><br>
i know we can apply to the magnet schools, but that takes time and i dont want to count on that.<br><br>
anyone have any experience with elementary schools in the tower grove area?

·
Registered
279 Posts
When we lived in the neighborhood. We had a good friend who's kids went to the elementary. Your concerns are solidly based. You can also apply to the charter school. The lottery should be happening in a couple of weeks. My friends (black) moved their kids to the magnets. They never had a problem getting in. All that said. The state has taken control of the district and anyone can apply for an alternate school to go to outside the district. My advice is to call the D.O. and talk about your options. She might even be able to stay in her current school.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
We live in a different part of south city, but have had a really bad experience with the SLPS magnet school lottery this year. Would you consider something private? We are most likely sending Ellie to City Garden next year. It is in the Forest Park Southeast neighborhood, which is quite close to the garden. It is a Montessori preschool that is starting an elementary with a focus on social justice issues. They will be private next year, but they have a generous sliding fee scale and may have some additional scholarship aid. They hope to become a charter school by the 2008-9 school year. The plan is to have a combined K-2 class next year.<br><br><br>
Feel free to pm me if you want more info.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey there ~<br><br>
We were planning on moving to this area before falling in love with our house and neighborhood in Alton, IL! While my son never enrolled in Tower Grove/city schools, I can tell you that (for our own reasons) I would never have sent him to general public... Our plan was to apply for the charter schools or go to one of the several excellent private schools nearby. I encourage you to act quickly because there is high demand for all of these programs.<br><br>
In the end, it's about finding the right fit for your family and your child. Remember that what you go with doesn't have to be the end all answer ~ While you'd like your first choice to be perfect, a lot of times relationships between kids and schools are surprising! You can try a place and move on if it's not working/when a better option becomes available to you.<br><br>
Peace<br>
~* Laura

1 - 4 of 4 Posts