Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 3 yr old and I'm planning to have another one soon, by next spring.
Would you prefer a old 3 level townhouse with drafty windows, but spacious, 1800sqft with a huge storage area in the basement(unfinished floor), 3 bedroom upstairs and livingroom, dining room and kitchen in the main floor, and a small deck (no yard, but it's in fron of a beautiful park).

Or would you prefer a stylish newer 900 sqft 2bdroom condo, open layout (kitchen opens to the living room), with a covered deck. Obviously space wise, the townhouse is the winner. But it will be much colder (single pane windows) so I will pay more for the heat. So I would say the townhouse is about 100 dollars more per month than the condo.

Another drawback I consider for the townhouse is that I will have to go up and down the stairs all the time. If I have a baby sleepin in a room upstairs, I won't hear the baby very well downstairs. It would be more convenient for everyone to be in the same level. My kid will just want to play near where the kitchen is(this is where I spend most of time), rather than upstairs. So in that sense, condo layout suits our needs. But I'm not sure if 900 sqft would be big enough for us, although there is a storage locker.

We will probably rent one of these ones for two years before buying. So i'm okay with 2 bdroom option as my kids are still small. Which one do you think would be better? Anyone living in a townhouse, do you prefer living in a townhouse than a condo?

Thank you for reading my rambling. I would appreciate your opinions.

· Registered
981 Posts
I would lean towards the townhouse mostly so I do not have to worry about people above or below me making noise (or us making too much noise). I lived in a condo with a squeaky desk chair that use to annoy our neighbor below, we had no idea it was that bad.

· Premium Member
11,523 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elsie View Post
I would lean towards the townhouse mostly so I do not have to worry about people above or below me making noise (or us making too much noise). I lived in a condo with a squeaky desk chair that use to annoy our neighbor below, we had no idea it was that bad.
yes. This is what I was thinking (after living in apartments with small children). I'd go for the Townhouse, for sure.

· Registered
4,699 Posts
It may not be an advantage having the baby sleeping close by when you have another child.It can get kinda stressful trying to keep the older child quiet enough for the close by sleeping babe.

· Registered
2,315 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elsie View Post
This. I've had too many issues with unsavory neighbors living below me.

· Registered
918 Posts
I would choose the townhouse, hands down.
Our last house was a condo, which we sold to buy our current house (a semi-detached), which is essentially a townhouse. I don't regret it for a second.

I think that the townhouse is better because:
- having access to an outdoor space is invaluable. You could be outside on the deck with the toddler while the baby sleeps inside (bring baby monitor outside with you) - oh - just noticed that both have outside access...oops...
-I think that you'll appreciate the extra space, as everything (baby and kid stuff) continues to multiply.
- having multiple levels is a bonus for when baby is sleeping and other child is not (as PP mentionned)

I agree that an open concept is ideal, and I do miss that feature, having the extra space (living and dtorage) more than makes up for it.

Both places sound nice though and I'm sure that you'd be happy in either place!

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Another vote for the townhouse... Near a park, and the separate levels are actually BETTER for a sleeping baby to be away from the commotion of a toddler. Just get a baby monitor if you're concerned about hearing the baby when you're on another floor. And get plastic for the windows, or start saving to replace them, and you might not have the huge difference in your heating bill when it comes time to turn the heat back on.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Another vote for the townhome. Our house has single pane windows that we just can't affort to replace right now. We use the insulating plastic sheets for the winter. They cost about $20 for the whole house and no drafts.

· Premium Member
9,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rere View Post
It may not be an advantage having the baby sleeping close by when you have another child.It can get kinda stressful trying to keep the older child quiet enough for the close by sleeping babe.
Yes, and you may want space to "spread out in " once the babe is not a babe anymore.

· Registered
1,555 Posts
Another vote for the townhouse. If your kids are different genders, then they can only share a room for so long... You'd be moving again before you know it.

You can get some good curtains to deal with the colder windows.

Toddlers like to play near their parents. Older kids like to have a little more privacy. You want to think long-term when buying.

Aven

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.