Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Toxic Tin Cans"

Quote:
BAY ST. LOUIS, Miss. -- For nearly a year now, the ubiquitous FEMA trailer has sheltered tens of thousands of Gulf Coast residents left homeless by Hurricane Katrina. But there is growing concern that even as it staved off the elements, it was exposing its inhabitants to a toxic gas that could pose both immediate and long-term health risks.
Why does this not surprise me?
: Warning: some of the readers' comments at the end are quite enraging, at least imo.

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
My mom was just talking about this the other day. Something to do with formaldehyde being used when they were in storage and they weren't cleaned out properly. I was wondering when it would hit the news. Horrible situation.

Interesting to know that California considers formaldehyde a carcinogen. I'm sure they still use it in the immunizations and call it safe, though.
:

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Interesting to know that California considers formaldehyde a carcinogen. I'm sure they still use it in the immunizations and call it safe, though.
:
Exactly what I was thinking as I read the article.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
Warning: some of the readers' comments at the end are quite enraging, at least imo.
Some of these people suck!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
And you know what - they don't reuse the trailers because of the inability to "disinfect" them thoroughly. Right - but living in a coffin is OK? Those trailers aboslutely STINK when you first go in them!!! A friend continued to live in her flooded house for a month once she recieved her trailer because you couldn't even walk in the darn thing without getting a headache!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts