Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I breastfed (well, pumped) I lost a lot of weight. I am concerned about this with the next baby because from what I understand, toxins are released in your milk as you lose weight. I'm pregnant now and really trying to eat a healthy diet so that not as many toxins get in the milk. Can I "detox" while pregnant? What else can I do to make my breastmilk as pure as possible? I have been a junk food eater for decades and I've made some good changes but I'm nowhere near where I want to be.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't have an answer but wonder something along the same lines. When you get a massage you also release toxins into your bloodstream. Does this mean theat your bm will have more toxins and you should pump and dump. OP maybe getting massaged while pregnant will help you detox before your dc is born.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have never heard of toxins being released as you lose weight. I have heard that often after working out your body secretes more of a certain hormone that could *possibly* cause your milk to taste different,but will not harm the nursing child in any way. <a href="http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html" target="_blank">here's a link on weightloss and bfing from kellymom</a> And I personally think that even the "junkiest junkfood diet" diet a mom could eat is *still* better to bf than ff.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think the reason they say toxins are released is because toxins are stored in fat and as you lose weight you release the toxins. Although since you gain weight for the purpose of nursing, and many people just naturally lose weight while nursing, I don't think it's not safe to lose weight at all, you should just do it very slowly. 1-2 lbs. per week and watch your milk supply to make sure it is not affected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts