Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have suggestions for toy boxes? I'm looking for a nice wood toy box that isn't too ugly.
:

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is not a toy box exactly but it works much better.
Click here

We had a traditional toy box for DD but she never played with her toys because they were just thrown in and she could not find them. Since we got this she plays with her toys much more, We categorized her toys in groups and she pulls the bin out that she wants to play with. We got different sized bins for different sized toys. I plan to make labels (picture and word) and attach to each bin.

HTH
Tricia

·
Registered
486 Posts
We're happy with our IKEA toy box from the DIKTAD series...I think that's how it's spelled. I went to look it up on the IKEA US webpage but as usual, their page is down. Worst. Retail. Website. EVER.

But if you live in an area with an IKEA, it's worth checking out. It's large, sturdy, and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
603 Posts
We don't have a toy box anymore. I use a small book shelf that I got at a thift store for 20 bucks. It's a solid wood bookshelf. It works great. When she had a box for her toys, they just sat in there and was never touched.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! The comments have been helpful as well. It makes sense that it would be difficult to use a big cavenous box. I found this which I think will work. It's not too bad looking and it has three compartments and you can see into it.

I'm posting this so that anyone doing a search for toy boxes on MDC might find it useful.

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/117/330759/117.html

The natural one is on my son's Christmas wish list.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Out of sight out of mind! I've never found that my kids play with the stuff in the toybox. So, I put it in my room and use it for linens and blankets. Works great for that!

Shelves and baskets that are easily pulled out.. and cleaned up are the best thing I've found. I teach, and see the same happen in the classroom. You can get baskets at the thrift store. I bring mine home and rinse them with vinegar and warm water. After dry, throw toys in and put on shelf.

I do use plastic bins from Ikea for the things like Legos and Playmobil.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I had a large toybox as a child, but my toys always got 'lost' in there! So for oue DD's we use low shelving, boxes and baskets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts