Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm thinking of getting my 3 and 5yo a cash register for Christmas. My own anti-consumerism bias aside, I think my kids would get a lot of mileage out of this kind of toy. The play kitchen and table and chair set they have has been a full service bistro for years and I think the cash register would increase the longevity of this area of creative play. Problem is all the ones I've seen (Learning Resources brand, etc.) are battery operated, talking, fully interactive noise machines. The Haba one is nice, but my kids might find it too simple. Can anybody suggest another toy cash register that won't drive me insane?</p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>Sigh, I know how you are feeling. I just broke down and got one for 4y DD2 for X-Mas as well, I know she will love it. I bought a Learning Resource one that bleeps but does not talk. I can deal with that!</p>

·
Registered
26 Posts
<p>This is the one we have had for years. It is solar powered and does not talk - although our version is at least 5 years old, so I am not positive about the new ones.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.liveandlearn.com/daycare/cashreg.html" target="_blank">http://www.liveandlearn.com/daycare/cashreg.html</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>My son loved it and used it for restaurant and made change for me when we had garage sales. It really is great for math skills.</p>

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Thanks both for your suggestions. I hadn't realized that Learning Resource made two different models. And I've never even seen the Live and Learn one. I'm sure one of them will do the trick. I'll just tuck in a "new readers" version of Das Kapital to go along with it.</p>

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
<p>I can't rec a specific model. We have a wooden wonderworld model that I don't really like. But you might consider giving them scales too. My aunt use weighted money and the kids always had fun weighing their purchases and then figuring out how much money. Plus, you can choose anything for money and then the kids can "earn it" on walks or whatever if it is rocks.</p>

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
<p>Just chiming in about the 'live & learn cash register' - they have these at our local children's museum (we're actually planning on gifting one to our dd for the holidays too who's wanted a cash register for ages too).  BUT they hold up well (having seen them at the museum - lots of use there).  They open/close, don't make lots of excessive noises, and I like that they're also a real solar calculator</p>

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
<p>A friend found one at a thrift store and gave it to my son when he was 2...he's now 7 and my daughter is 3 and they play with it every day!  It has a drawer that dings and it makes a pleasing noise when they close it.  They mostly play grocery store and restaurant...neither of which set off major ant-consumer alarm bells for me.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts