Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here make wooden and/or cloth toys as a business?

I am trying to come up with a business plan & am wondering how much (and what kinds) of insurance you carry on a business such as this?

I'm thinking of making block sets and bean bags, etc. Just as a hobby to sell locally at fairs, etc.

I can call my insurance co. but want to be slightly less clueless before I call....

Thanks,
Laura

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
A few years ago when I called an insurance broker(one that is used by a friend who owns a bar here) they gave me a rough estimate quote of 10K/year. She explained that b/c I was carrying childrens products there was a high liabilty issue hence the outrageous premium.
Hopefully you will get a better quote, a much better quote, but don't be suprised if it is higher than normal biz liability ins.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOLY MOLY!

I haven't called yet, but dang... That's super scary!

Maybe I'll look into just reselling someone else's product - so they can pay the insurance. :LOL

Thanks so much for the info....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wawap
Maybe I'll look into just reselling someone else's product - so they can pay the insurance. :LOL
You would still have liability even if you sold someone elses product.

Still, give a provider a call and see what your options are.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have looked into making and selling toys a little bit and was scared off by the labeling requirements. There are strict rules about toy safety, both state and federal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts