Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have a question. In my ideal world, I'd like 2.5 year old DS to play with all eco friendly and open ended toys. However that is harder for me to accomplish than I had thought it would be. DS's friends all play with mainstream toys and so that's what he gravitates towards. Some of the eco friendly stuff can also be kinda pricey- even on ebay and craigslist. Has anyone had this similiar issue? Does it get harder as they get older? And my biggest question- Has anyone had success at balancing out mainstream toys with eco friendly and open ended toys<span style="display:none;"> </span>? How did you do this? Any suggestions for me?  I know my son is a little young for me to be posting in this forum but, I wanted opinions of moms who've been there. Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
<p>I used to be a purist when it came to toys, then I realized....that any toy well made enough to be passed on to one or two more generations is eco friendly.   We love building sets.</p>

·
Registered
559 Posts
<p>I felt the same way too but your right it's a bit challenging.  But like the pp said, if it can be passed on then that makes it eco.</p>
<p>My son is 4.5 and I think we're doing ok.  He has less toys then a lot of his friends but he does have quality toys that will last and be passed on.  The things that we've bought are wood or eco but outside gifts are not and he seems to love them both equally.  </p>

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
<p>We have a mix.  I'm trying not to bring new "junk" into the house, the stuff that breaks quickly.  However, my 9 year old wanted a marble run, and the Haba wood one was WAY out of my budget.  So I bought him a good plastic brand, and hope it lasts.  It's sad we have to compromise sometimes, you just do what you can.</p>

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
<p>We definitely try to stay away from cheap plastic, easily breakable toys.  We're also not keen on electronic toys that make a lot of noise.  But, you know, we also have to find a balance between what we'd like our kids to play with, and what they'd like to play with.  Of course there's a huge amount of overlap, but sometimes they get their hearts set on something that they REALLY REALLY WANT (!) that we're not crazy about, and in that case we usually accommodate them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The one thing I wish about toys, more than having only all-natural, wooden, etc, etc toys, is that I had given more thought as to what toys to bring into the house, in terms of collections.  What I mean is trying to think ahead of what toys would have a lot of play value and would be able to be added to (like Lego, Playmobil, a wooden dollhouse that has lots of furniture and doll to add on, wooden train sets, etc).  We're starting to go that way now (Playmobil has become a major craze in our house), but we went through lots of trial and error and have small random sets of Calico Critters, Tolo toys, non-Lego building blocks, Littlest Pet Shop etc etc.  I guess some of that is inevitable, as your kids are discovering their tastes, but still it's something to think about.  Like investing in a nice doll house now, and then adding to it over the years.  Do your research - make sure what you buy is well made, and well rated by other moms and kids, and that it is something that can grow with your kids.  For example, like I said before, my kids have discovered the Playmobil love.  I know it's a good company, the toys are well made, and the add-ons are endless.  Also it can be enjoyed by a wide range of ages - they just play with it differently as they grow older.  Not to mention the fact that it has good re-sale value!  It's great to have a toy that we can keep adding too, yk?</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts