Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 2 and was just diagnosed with sesame and peanut allergies and we were told to stay away from tree nuts as well.<br><br>
He is a very picky eater and still is mostly breastfed (nurses at least once an hour).<br><br>
We are not feeding *him* anything that is manufacturered on equipment that also manufacturers any of his allergens. BUT, can I eat a small amount of something made on equipment that also manufacturers them? Or could traces of traces end up in my breastmilk?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I never worry about traces when it comes to what I am eating, but others here may have other experiences.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm also okay with eating things with "processed on same equipment" warnings, or things that may have limited cross-contamination, though I definitely don't give those things to dd. Her reactions via breastmilk were really so subtle even when I was ingesting a lot of her allergens before we figured it out that I figure a tiny trace in my diet isn't going to be enough in breastmilk to affect her. That said, when possible, I do avoid those items--but if we're eating out or if the grocery store is out of our usual "completely safe" brand, I am okay with those items as long as dd isn't going to be eating them herself.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
If I am familiar with the company and know that they have good procedures to avoid xcon, I will eat foods "manufactured in a facility..." but I will <span style="text-decoration:underline;">never</span> eat "processed on shared equipment..." with any nut products or dairy. WAY too risky imo for a nut allergy (or dairy for my DD, as she's ana to dairy too.)<br><br>
The problem with shared equipment is not only for trace xcon, it could actually be a whole piece of the food- like a nut stuck in the equipment that is shaken loose while processing the next food, etc.<br><br>
eta: Those rules only apply to foods that are labeled... because I know there are not rules in place for those warnings. So I might have inadvertently eaten xcon-ed food many times. But I try to avoid whenever I can.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Does your baby nurse that often around the clock? I'm just curious because you may be dealing with food intolerances and allergies.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks for the info!<br><br>
Changingseasons, thanks, I had not thought about there being larger amounts of an allergen also present. That does give me something to think about.<br><br>
Kjbrown, my DS nurses about every 2-3 hours at night. He use to nurse more. We are definitely finding that he has food allergies (gluten intolerance/celiac, severe peanut/sesame/treenut allergies). As for other food intolerances, it could be although I have never noticed a definite rection to anything I have eaten and I have also gone through periods of eliminating certain foods (egg, milk, etc . . .) which have never made a difference. He is also very allergic to dust mites, dogs and cats (we have 2 dogs and 1 cat) which could be affecting his sleep. BTW, I like your blog!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Well with having 2 dogs and a cat and him being very allergic to them, you're increasing his allergy load. You may find that if you removed those (I know how hard it is) that his body may be able to better handle the other things. It's just that drinking often/alot was one of my DD2's intolerance symptoms.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am very much wanting to rehome the animals. My DH less so but we are talking about it. I just think DS will feel better if they are gone. It's only been two weeks since we found out about the food and animal allergies so we are still spinning a little from it and trying to figure out what to do about everything. I do love the animals but DS has to come first, for sure.<br><br>
It is possible that my DS has some other intolerances lurking. But I think he nurses alot too because he is an active toddler who is very picky and he needs the calories since he eats so little food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts