Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year for the holidays we choose a different country or culture to model our holiday dinner foods. This way we can kinda open up discussion about how people are different and the same....I'm not one who thinks that every single aspect of life can and should be turned into education, but this is one time that my kids and fam really get into learning, and it's more fun to come up with a holiday menu.

For example, one year we did Hawaii and last year we made paella for a Spain influenced meal.

This year, DP really wants to do Germany, but I am having trouble finding much beyond cookies, and a Stollen.

Anyone know of any good sites or ideas about traditional German foods for the holidays?

Thanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
My Dad lived in Germany for two years and stollen was the first thing that popped in my head.

But other than that you could try traditional German foods, like Sauerbraten, Knodeln (potato dumplings), and Rotkohl (red cabbage).

I found this article (http://mpelembe.blogware.com/blog/_a...3302860.html):

"A traditional German Christmas dinner might be a neat tradition
to try in America as well if you are looking to introduce your
family to various cultures or just want to do a little something
extraordinary for Christmas this year. One thing to note is that
many Germans have their Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve rather
than Christmas Day. A traditional German Christmas dinner often
consists of dishes such as stuffed Christmas Goose, Potato
Dumplings, Red Cabbage, and Baked Apples for dessert. Of course
you do not have to choose a traditional Christmas dinner for
your Christmas German cuisine there are plenty of great German
dishes that can be enjoyed if you wish to bring a German theme
to your Christmas table. Do whatever tastes good and it might be
best to choose foods that are relatively easy to prepare rather
than those that are time consuming so that you can enjoy time
with friends and family rather than cooped up in the kitchen."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gluhwein is mulled red wine that's traditionally drunk in the winter. Cheap, dry red wine is really good to use.

My recipe:
2 750mL bottles of dry red wine
1/2 cup of orange juice
2 cups water
6 Tbsp sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
6 cloves
(or use packaged mulling spice instead of the individual spices)
a dash of ground cinnamon
dash of ground cloves
dash of ground ginger

Mix all of the ingrediants together in a large pot, heat of medium heat until hot, but not boiling. Serve in mugs.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Kinderpunsch for the children:

Hot fruit tea (I use rosehip or a mix with rosehip), mull with apple and/or grape juice, cinnamon sticks, and whole cloves; some honey if you desire, can add some orange or tangerine slices as garnish or flavor to bottom of cup before pouring hot punch over it. Never boil this, just let it come to steamy.

Christmas Goose with pears and prunes (or red current jelly if you don't like prunes):

Pull as much of the fat out of the cavity of the goose as possible, pat dry inside and out, season cavity with salt, pepper, ground mustard and whatever else you like; then stuff with quartered onions and garlic cloves, I add apples as well; these are for flavoring, not eating. In a 325 degree F oven breast side up on a rack in roasting pan, roast goose, spooning out fat periodically. Goose is done when a punctured thigh runs with pale yellow juices. Let rest for 15-20 min and garnish with poached pears with prunes, current jelly or, I use homemade cranberry sauce.

Red Cabbage:

1 head of red cabbage, 3 TB butter (or fat of choice), 1 med onion, 2-3 tart apples, 1/4 red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, 1 TB (or less if using a sweeter balsamic vinegar) brown sugar, 1+/- tsp. salt, a bay leaf or three, 3-5 cups of water

Caramelize diced or thinly sliced onions, add thinly sliced red cabbage (core before slicing), chunky chopped peeled apples, a good wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar is my preference, a wee bit of sugar, salt bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce and let simmer covered, but with a wood spoon between lid and pot to allow to breath for about 2 hours, if it seems dry add a little bit of water here and there.

Spaetzle is another tradition and works wonderfully with the juices, but potato or bread dumplings (which I really love). Instead of brotchen I use heals of left over bread (usually it's sourdough) that I've dried before storing away, and I use Black Forest ham.

Fennel for another veggie dish is wonderful as well.

I think you got the desserts on the mark along with some pfeffernusse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.