Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 2.5 and I want to get serious about potty-training him. He wears disposable diapers, but I want to start putting him training pants. I'm assuming cloth are better. Recommendations? Advice?
Thanks!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I've personally found training pants to be completely worthless-except as underwear that's readily available in tiny sizes.

I either put my child in diapers and remove it when the child wants to use the toilet (the toddler sized CDs I'd made for Ds were side snapping with elastic at the waist and legs and easy for him to pull down independently, and the disposable diapers the girls were in at that age were also easy to unfasten) or I put the child in underwear and seriously encourage them to stay dry.

There really isn't any "in between" IMO. Pull-ups are basically diapers that are easy for toddlers to pull up and down independently. They don't encourage toilet use any more than regular diapers- but they do make it simpler for a tot to get dressed again AFTER using the toilet (when there's absolutely no hurry and I'm generally available to help.) The cloth training pants with some padding and no waterproof layer provide ZERO protection for the clothing if the child has an accident (unless maybe your child is able to hold it in mostly but dribble a little on the way to the toilet- but in my experience either the child made it to the toilet in time or had a flood.)

Lots of kids do well with naked time (or at least bottomless time) and toilet use rather than using underwear.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I like cloth training pants with a waterproof outer layer.

We have used Mother of Eden training pants, regular fuzzi bunz diapers snapped up with inserts left out or only one insert, and the traditional padded cloth training pants with a pair of plastic pants over top (cheapest thing we found)

I find that if you use disposable training pants and your child goes through the "changing the underwear for a tiny drop of pee" stage you can end up throwing out 10 or more pull-ups a day. Expen$ive. And you don't really want to discourage them from thinking of underwear pee'd in as gross.

I also agree with Ruthla that if they are truly ready and you can give the attention to it, often going bare for a few days and then right to underwear is the way to go.

·
Registered
721 Posts
i am looking for some waterproof trainers for travel...dd is ok at home but i dotn' want to have to bring tons of clothes. any thoughts on either bummis trainers or imse vimse? or should i just get some bummis pull on nylon covers to put over her trainers?

we use cloth ones at home...they really are better than just underwear IMO. we have gerber from walmart and some from pennys. Wee Ones maybe?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
We use ones that are basically coton underwear with several somewhat absorbent layers. They are just absorbant enough to prevent puddles, but not absorbant enough to prevent, delay or lessen feeling wet at all. Almost all accidents will require a change of pants (very small accidents you can just change the underwear, really big ones might require other clean up,) but not a change of socks, shoes or cleaning the floor like is often the case with regular underwear.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
DD thought the more absorbant, heavier cotton training pants werejust diapers. But real underwear, she "got" almost immediately. She still pees in them occassionally, but she's a lot more sure that she doesn't want to pee in her undies as opposed to the trainers.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We like our Eco Nix. They are not waterproof. If I notice right away or dd tells me right away when there's been an accident we can usually only change the underpants. However, if it's had a while to soak through or it was an especially big pee, the pants have to go too.

·
Registered
965 Posts
We used Fuzzi Bunz for 2 years and then the Imse Vimse training pants helped us transition to undies.

I personally think it would be very difficult to train in disposables, due to the child not really feeling the wetness.

In summertime, you can train naked outside, but I think for this time of year, cloth training pants are a great idea. They're also good for car rides and naps as the child is getting better at holding their pee. They're just a good option!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
We like the Gerber training pants, which are just undies with a few extra layers in the middle. They are easy to find and inexpensive and they are nice and soft. But since they don't really contain the pee, and we don't want leaks on the furniture, dd wears a nylon pull-on cover with them. Bummis makes a cover like that, but we got ours from pottypatty.com (they were cheaper there, and basically the same thing). She wears a 7th generation pull-up to preschool (2 afternoons a week) and overnight. But she keeps them dry mostly, so I'm thinking about trying her regular undies at school now too.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
We use either gerber non waterproof, plain tiny undies or imse vimse training pants at home. Just letting her use regular undies and having a couple pee accidents was the ticket to PLing for DD. The old gerbers I had work very well but the new ones don't seem to absorb much at all. They're fine for at home use or if in public I'll put a cloth diaper cover over it. The imse vimse don't absorb more than a dribble. The daisy doodles training pants are wonderful, absorb a full pee, are waterproof.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry it took so long to return!
I am hesitant to just put him in underwear or let him run around naked since I don't want messes on teh furniture, I'm not sure DH would go for it and he's the SAHP, and we have a crawling baby so that could make for some nastiness.

I have some bumgenius diapers- do you think it's worth trying them without an insert? Someone mentioned fuzzi bunz w/o an insert. It would save me having to buy something new.

Although I have considered buying underwear and asking him not to pee on Diego. As much as I hate character clothing, he might go for that. Considering the other day he had the foresight to pee in the corner.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You can put fleece pants over undies, I use the training undies, and haven't soaked thru. But DD isn't a huge wetter, but she can be pretty wet, but Old Navy toddler fleece pants work fine.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
We CD and i like the gerber trainers for at home or the bummies trainers for naps and outtings.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yep, we use Gerber trainers (and some similiar that are another brand, can't recall but same exact thing) (the ones that are like undies with a padded center, not the waterproof ones)...if he really pees, they do no more good then if he had undies on, but we often have accidents here where he'll start to pee, realize he's doing it and stop and go to the potty...so having something that'll hold that little bit is nice for keeping carpets & furniture dry....pants usually have to be changed, but we've used wool longies over them the same way you would a prefold too.... if you already have some then use them. Otherwise we got regular sweatpants a size too big from walmarts; not waterproof at all but easy for him to pull up and down.

My DS doesn't care less about the character undies, we let him pick some, (cars & elmo); but he treats them exactly the same as the plain ones. But I know some kids do much better with that type of thing.

I don't think FB or BG's without an insert would keep your furniture dry at all. Might contain poo messes, but most trainers & undies will too in a 2.5 yr old, as long as he doesn't have diarhea (SP?). I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
721 Posts
hmm...help me decide between th epotty patty vs bummis vs imse vimse with the pul layer and the potty patty vs gerber with bummis or potty patty covers.

so...probably doesnt' matter much, huh. why is it so hard to decide?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I have put splash pants or wind pants on children in place of regular pants where keeping furniture dry was an issue.

I read this tip in a magazine a while back...if a child sits in one spot on a chair or couch for a long time, you can put an old-fashioned bath mat (the kind with rubbery backing) on that spot for him to sit on.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The imse vimse are nice and trim, but dont hold alot of pee, we had issuse of it all leaking out of the leg holes. The Bummies are very puffy, there isn't alot of padding inside (but there is pleanty to keep from having leaks) but just very puffy, think of it like your LO wearing a very large marshmellow on their butt. The others i havn't tried.

If you are on a budget, i would go with the gerbers and bummies (oh and i have heard pretty good thing about kushies too)

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
My boys potty learned in the gerber training pants (cotton) with a pull-on nylon cover over when we went out...

I think it is good to have some leaking, otherwise it is just another diaper, yk?

You could try some cloth diapers so that your son can get used to the feeling of being wet before the pressure of training. Or just go for the training pants. But there is something about the gush of liquid that is really motivating, in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.