Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in a pretty remote area, so finding health foods can be tricky. I've been looking for margarines without trans fats for awhile. I use Smart Balance, but the particular grocery store didn't carry it.

Stupidly, I bought a container of Parkay, which said "0 Trans Fats per serving."

Yeah, right, it still has partially hydrogenated soybean oil, but I guess if you stay within the serving size, the trans fat doesn't add up to enough to print.

Not only are we not being given enough information about trans fats, but the labeling is deceptive. I guess the public should know to look for "zero PHOs" or something. I also think it's crappy that the federal gov't is waiting until 2006 to make trans fat labeling mandatory. The public just isn't aware of the potential risks of this stuff!

· Registered
2,050 Posts
That is crappy. I remember when the whole issue of madatory labelling came up in this country and in Canada as well, ( a few years ago), and Canada was all gung-ho for immediate labelling and the US was like, well, maybe within 5 years or so.
It really is bad that they can get away with labelling like that.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Q: Is it possible for a food product to list the amount of trans fat as 0 g on the Nutrition Facts panel if the ingredient list indicates that it contains "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil?"

A: Yes. Food manufacturers are allowed to list amounts of trans fat with less than 0.5 gram (1/2 g) as 0 (zero) on the Nutrition Facts panel. As a result, consumers may see a few products that list 0 gram trans fat on the label, while the ingredient list will have "shortening," "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil," or "hydrogenated vegetable oil" on it. This means the food contains very small amounts (less than 0.5 g) of trans fat per serving.

· Registered
4,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amnesiac
My 9 year old was reading the label for some crackers that was the same way & he was totally confused.

Amnesiac, my 9 yr old ds reads the labels too!

My question is if the product lists no pho in the ingredients, no trans fat in the nutritional facts panel but has vegetable oils listed in the ingredients ( for example: vegetable oils(canola,sunflower, and/or soybean oil))are they just being sneaky or is it actually trans fat/pho free. I know... I'm cynical.

TIA

· Registered
8,471 Posts
If it has Hydrogenated fats from whatever plant source, it's NOT trans-fat free.

We don't waste too much time on the nutrition label for that. We go right to the ingredients list. Sad isn't it?

· Registered
9,015 Posts
I have heard that here in Canada they are making the use of trans fats illegal. I do not know if that is true or not.

Becel says it has no trans fats, nonhydrogenated and low in saturated fat. The ingrediants are: canola and sunflower oils(74%), water, modified palm and palm kernel oils (6%), salt(1.8%), whey powder(1.4%), soy lecithink (.2%), vegetable monoglycerides, potassium sorbate, vegetable color, artificial flavour, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin d3, alpha-tocopherol acetate.

Is it misleading?

· Registered
2,966 Posts
oils that are naturally hydrogenated, such as butter or coconut oil, are fine, but oils that are artificially hydrogenated are the ones that contain trans fats and are really bad. earth balance margarine is non-hydrogenated and really good, but it does contain the elusive "natural flavors", whatever that is. i love it

· Registered
216 Posts
"Natural Flavors" is quite possibly hidden MSG (or free glutamic acid). It's difficult to tell. (Check out nomsg.com for info.)

Does anyone have any recipes for crackers? It's so tough to find ones without trans fat. Thanks!

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by milagras

Does anyone have any recipes for crackers? It's so tough to find ones without trans fat. Thanks!
FWIW ~ Barbara's Bakery has really tasty crackers...My grocery and Co-op carry a small variety of Trans Fats Free crackers.

· Registered
216 Posts
Stacyg - Thanks for the info on the crackers. I'll check the co-op next time we go.

To my surprise I found partially hydrogenated soybean oil in a multi-vitamins. It's the "Naturally Complete Multivitamin" by Spring Valley. I am not impressed.

Amy

· Registered
3,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by milagras
lately, i've been using this recipe to make my crackers, it's so easy!!

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/pizzacrusts.html

it's actually a sourdough pizza crust recipe, but it makes a wonderful cracker. the olive oil that i use is extra virgin, first cold pressed. and i only have whole wheat flour in my kitchen (i'm a minimalist!). and i just cook it on a cookie sheet, i dont have a pizza stone.

there's another recipe that i used to use all the time here... http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7&postcount=21

i've pretty much given up on trying to find processed foods that fit into my budget that are acceptable to me to feed to my family.

· Registered
216 Posts
Thanks, moss, for the recipes. I love sourdough.

I am striving to find simple and delicious ways to move into a healthier life. My hubbie and I have been working hard to be more healthful in our choices as we start our family. It's so difficult sometimes. I so appreciate the help along the way.

Amy

· Registered
1,837 Posts
DD loves Our Family Farm cheese or wheat crackers. They have no trans fats and a percentage of the proceeds go to children's charities. I don't use margarine I use a 50/50 mixture of organic butter and canola oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.