Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is a little over 2.5 years old. The past few months, she has started napping about 1-2 times a week. This would be fine except that she loses it around 4pm, either by being kind of "hyper"/very difficult time listening or she is an emotional wreck, crying about any little thing. It is hard to get her to make any choices or help her through having a meltdown. I have tried:<br><br>
"quiet time" in her room (reading books, listening to stories on CD), but she jumps around in her room, kicking the walls, etc. My other dd (16mos) is sleeping in the room next door and she NEEDS her nap. She has woken up from dd1's noise level, then I really have 2 crabby ones.<br><br>
I have reluctantly had her watch a video during nap time which is OK, except not something I really want each day as a routine. I do this when I know she won't rest and I need a little quiet myself.<br><br>
So, does anyone have any other ideas, suggestions or words of wisdom for easing through this transition? It is hard because I think she still needs a short nap each day, but instead she is up for days then crashes and takes a 2 hour nap, then repeats the cycle. Night time is not a problem (8pm bedtime and is up about 6:30am).<br><br>
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well, I don't know about wisdom, but I feel your pain.... DS has quit napping completely now, after many months of on again/off again. He's 3.<br><br>
My best trick is to do a "quiet cuddle time" (if he seems like he wants one) or "let's read a book" (if not) early in the afternoon. Some days this is hard, because I get SO sleepy sitting and cuddling w him, and then he's off and running again and I'm stumbling-stupid. But it helps a lot. He doesn't go to sleep, but he doesn't spend the rest of the day freaking out either. Usually. It takes about an hour, sometimes, for him to get all filled up with cuddling (or a bunch of books) and be ready to move on--a long time to be sitting, for me, but it's worth it. Maybe you two could do a quiet time together while the little one is napping--you'd get some rest, anyway. I go back and read "mothering your nursing toddler" every time I start feeling guilty about all the work I'm not getting done....<br><br>
Food is really important, too, though I can't say I've figured out how to get him to eat anything.<br><br>
DS is sleeping a little later now, which seems to help him get thru the day--it's a long haul, but it helps if he has more sleep to start with.<br><br>
That's what I know. Mainly, tho, I know this is a crazy transition and most of what you can do is breathe and tell yourself it gets better eventually.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My son is 32 months and doing the same thing. Actually, we have just about moved past it, and he now only naps once every couple of weeks (at 3 or 4 pm).<br><br>
I don't know what to say about the crankiness and tantrums. Those seem to have subsided once our schedule changed. One thing we do now regularly that may have helped, is generally we have outside time anywhere from 3-5 or so. I try to get my dinner prep work done ahead of time, or put something long-cooking in the oven while we are out in the yard, so I am not stressed about getting back in to cook. Also, with no nap and being pregnant I find myself exhausted by 3 or 4 o-clock. Getting outside is good for both of us and sometimes I can actually sit on the grass and relax while he runs around.<br><br>
It sounds like you may not be able to do that, though, because of your other child napping. Maybe another special activity that you reserve for naptimes for the two of you to do together? Paints, crayons? Putting on some new music and dancing?

·
Registered
167 Posts
We are in a similar situation, but only one child. She went from taking a 2-3 hour nap every day to no nap in about a month. I tried quiet time in her room, videos, me napping instead, but wasn't too happy with the results..<br><br>
Nap time has recently become craft time. We have been making Xmas tree ornaments and stamping wrapping paper and wrapping presents. Its quiet, fun, and at least for now consistant. There's something about touching all the textures that is really soothing for my daughter. Sometimes we go to the community pool instead. Also very soothing.<br><br>
We also started putting her to bed earlier. When she napped she went to bed at 9, now its between 6:30 and 7. She gets up between 6:30 and 7:30.<br><br>
We used to get out of the house everyday to do lots of physical play arround 9am to make sre she was tired for a nap. Now this doesn't work because she's overstimulated easier. Maybe we get out by 10am 3 times a week. Its a much quieter, slower pace now. More cooking and helping with house cleaning.<br><br>
I miss getting our more and I'm worried my daughter isn't getting enough "exercise" right now, but it is a transition / winter / short days so maybe our exhuburant playground romps will come back in the spring.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. It sounds like I just need to get through it. I think I'll try an earlier bed time to see if that helps a little. I also need to think of some things we can do together while dd2 sleeps that are quiet. Art sounds like a good idea. She always wants to paint and I don't feel like putting out all that mess while the 1 year old is around and can't do, but will certainly want to. I like the outside time in the afternoon, too. Maybe when dd2 gets up. Although it is so cold now and DARK early. Even so, I think the fresh air and exercise can help everyone.<br><br>
I also need to adjust my own attitude about the transition. It is happening whether I like it or not (and I don't) so I need to stop the power struggle with her and just approach it as a different activity time for the two of us. I am pregnant as well (due in July) and sometimes need a little rest in the afternoon. I hate the late afternoon/predinner part of the day. It is so hard.<br><br>
Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts