Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(cross posting in learning at school)
The time is approaching where I need to get work outside the home and put the kids in school (unless some miracle happens and I get an evening job actually making enough, or something like that)...assuming I have no choice for this post (I know all my options with charter and virtual schools and all that if I can make it work)....

How do I help my kids (DD13, will be in 14/9th grade...went to K, 1, 2, and then 5 and 6 grades; DS11 with developmental/learning disabilities, will be 12 and should be a special ed class, he was in school from 14 months old until 2nd grade; DS4, will be 5 and in K; and then DS2, will be 3 and in day care...kills me to imagine them split up during the day, they're so close
but I gotta suck it up) transition from always home, with me, being "free", unschooling, learning at their own pace....to tests and rules and bullies and bad food and everything I'm dreading but not talking about so it doesn't color them more then I already have against schooling. Except for an occasional time out and meals, these kids don't sit down for a minute, sitting all day in class is going to be harsh I think. I know kids are resilient, but my crew are so strong willed and free thinking, I am imagining a lot of detention and phone calls

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Ah, hugs, mama....I am sorry you are in this position.

I imagine your little ones will be fine if you sell it in a postive light and pick your schools (I hope you have options!) carefully.

As per your oldest...can she stay home while you work? My almost 13 yr old stays home while I work (although it is only a few hours a week he is home solo) and he loves it
Many teens like space. If she is adverse to going to school, I would give it some thought.

I do have other thought about frugality/making money from home/Hs friendly jobs etc if you want to brainstorm. Let us know.

Kathy

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
My Aunt has a 15yo girl and a 14yo girl that she homeschools, and she works full time Mon-Fri 8am-5pm. Her girls get a list of assignments for each day of the week. They do 7 subjects a day (only have 5 subjects to 2 subjects get done twice a day) and my Aunt corrects their work and answers any questions they have when she gets home. Could this be an option for your two older kids? They've been doing it this way since they were 12 years old.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
They might surprise you, I figured I was in for a lot of problems with dd in public school and she didn't really have any problems with the transition and she was a perfect little angel at school. At home she was often hell on wheels but she was a totally different kid at school.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
I agree with the others. If you can trust the older ones to stay home alone then I'd try that with them. Is it possible for you to find a friend that homeschools to watch the younger children? You may be able to find someone to do that for cheaper than what it would cost to put the one child in daycare. Just a thought.

My children have had to attend a school in the past. In fact, I just took them out last year to go back to homeschooling. They adjusted fine either way. It just depends on the child and the environment but I'm sure your kids will do fine.

Good luck to you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.