Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to be making some huge changes soon - leaving current partner, moving back across the state, living in small quarters, I don't own a TV, currently public school, I'd like to quit school and just be together for awhile so we can regroup and catch our breath - and hope that xh will see the benefits of not schooling, especially since the areas available and his area all have horrid schools imho

I am pretty stable but mentally ill. I'm excited and terrified. I'll be going from a constant other adult -xp is also disabled, to all on my own.

Am I trying to do too much? can you help me sort out the pros & cons?

·
Registered
799 Posts
It sounds like you are going through a lot! We recently moved across the state to a much smaller house and lost the TV. It was a pretty easy transition. Now the kids read more and do other things and watch programs on the computer. My children are a bit younger, though. I don't think homeschooling would be too much, unless it made things more difficult for your children (if they are the type that get comfort from the routine of school). I would go slow, deschool, have no expectations other than finding your places in your new life. Hang in there!

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
yep. it really sounds like you're taking on a lot. a year and a half ago we moved to another country, and into a very small home (1 room cabin). though we've never had a TV.
I think if you want to look at pros and cons, best to start with making a list of considerations, and how you feel about them. if you want to put it up here, i'm sure people will offer opinions/ advice.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post

can you help me sort out the pros & cons?
The pros and cons are going to be specific to the individuals involved. Do your kids love school or will it be a relief to them to not have to attend? Are they looking forward to the move, or does the idea make them sad or angry? How do the kids perceive the family split?

Any big change is stressful of course, but I think you have to look at what's important to the kids to know what's going to be difficult for them and what might be an easier transition.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The kids don't know anything about the move yet, I don't know when it's going to happen, so I wanted to have a plan in place before I said anything. Crispin will be thrilled to leave school behind. Harriet will have a harder time, but I'm planning on taking full advantage of the homeschooling groups around - they do get togethers a lot and many of them aren't really structured, just get togethers. We went to one before I moved and it was crafts, games, food, dancing stuff like that. There's also meet ups at the zoo, museums, sciences centers etc. It's a nice way to get together with some other folks without any obligations. I think that would be enough for her. If not, there's always school. I'm not going to force her to stay home if she pines for school.

As far as how they will feel, I know they will both be excited to be closer to daddy instead of 4 hours away. About partner, I think they will be really sad and miss him, but they are also too young to see how he has negatively impacted their confidence and happiness with his words and tone of voice. It's hard to understand the less tangible effects of emotional abuse when it isn't straight hitting or screaming & blatant shaming, ya know?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I think changing houses is a natural time to try out TV free.

However, you have a lot going on.

Can you go TV free now - so it isn't one more change when the move/HS transition takes place???

If not, I would keep the TV for a while once you have moved - maybe 6 months, but whatever works for you...

Take care,

Kathy

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
I think changing houses is a natural time to try out TV free.

However, you have a lot going on.

Can you go TV free now - so it isn't one more change when the move/HS transition takes place???

If not, I would keep the TV for a while once you have moved - maybe 6 months, but whatever works for you...

Take care,

Kathy
Thanks, no the current p is a TV addict, and I don't own a TV so we will be making an immediate change. I do have a decent computer monitor so we can watch movies and stuff there when we really want to.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Actually - that may work.

When we switched houses about 7 years ago, we did not get any channels but we did have a TV and could watch videos. It helped.

The fact you do have something with a screen is a pro in my mind (and is nice for HS/US as well....there are many fun/educational things to do)

Truthfully, a lot of mainstream TV is drivel anyways...

Kathy

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
In our group there are unschoolers with TV , without TV; some with some (that's us--my kids didn't grow up with much TV, and that could be why they don't watch much even know that we do have tv), and some with unlimited.

I would say that any/all of these things work for the families that I know. Every family has their own media culture , and I don't see I see any difference in any of the kids, except some know more shows and characters than others. I don't see any downsides to any of the particualr family cultures. I wouldn't know who had lots and who had none unless the parents talked about it.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
we are technically unrestricted TV/ screen time, but we don't actually own a tv. we have 2 computers that we can watch dvds and dowload tv shows on, and dd has her own personal dvd player. that works well for us, though we've never had a tv.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.