Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10-month-old is breastfed and is not a huge fan of solids, still. She spits out most of what she puts into her mouth. But some does get in there, and once she started eating solids her poop smell/frequency started transitioning, which I expected.

She used to poop a couple times a day, and now she poops once or twice a week. She doesn't seem constipated and the stool is still very loose when it passes (in copious amounts). It is a rich orange color. Her diet is still like 98% liquid, so I expect her poop to still be loose, especially with four new teeth coming in.

But it STINKS. It's kind of a sour smell, which I've heard can be a sign of an intolerance, although I have no idea why, nor do I know if there's science to back that up. I expected her poop to smell worse once she was eating solids, but I didn't expect it to smell so strong and sour. I don't remember my little brother's poop smelling that way, although he was formula fed. Maybe his gut flora didn't have to transition as much once he started eating solids.

What do you think? Just her gut flora transitioning from milk-only to solids? Or is something more insidious at hand? Anyone else have experience with this?

If any other signs of discomfort or ill health appear, I'll of course call the pediatrician! But she seems happy, vibrant, well-fed, and healthy otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
Breastmilk poop is generally so 'sweet' and agreeable in odor, that it can be a shock when your baby starts producing 'real' poop. What you described sounds completely normal to me and NOT a sign of ill health. It will shift over time in consistency and odor as your baby takes in new foods. One of the down sides of solids, but every baby gets there!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
DD's poop did the opposite, all during breastfeeding exclusively it was orange and green and smelled like a vegetables-only compost pile and was frothy unless I fed on the same side for 4 hours worth of feedings before switching (serious foremilk/hindmilk imbalance). After she started a few solids here and there it was just like the descriptions of breastfed poop, yellow, faint odor of popcorn.

Not that this helps you, but it just goes to show poop is weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 10-month-old is breastfed and is not a huge fan of solids, still. She spits out most of what she puts into her mouth. But some does get in there, and once she started eating solids her poop smell/frequency started transitioning, which I expected.

She used to poop a couple times a day, and now she poops once or twice a week. She doesn't seem constipated and the stool is still very loose when it passes (in copious amounts). It is a rich orange color. Her diet is still like 98% liquid, so I expect her poop to still be loose, especially with four new teeth coming in.

But it STINKS. It's kind of a sour smell, which I've heard can be a sign of an intolerance, although I have no idea why, nor do I know if there's science to back that up. I expected her poop to smell worse once she was eating solids, but I didn't expect it to smell so strong and sour. I don't remember my little brother's poop smelling that way, although he was formula fed. Maybe his gut flora didn't have to transition as much once he started eating solids.

What do you think? Just her gut flora transitioning from milk-only to solids? Or is something more insidious at hand? Anyone else have experience with this?

If any other signs of discomfort or ill health appear, I'll of course call the pediatrician! But she seems happy, vibrant, well-fed, and healthy otherwise.
It depends on what they do eat. I think beans and cabbages bring out some smelly poop!

·
Registered
5 Posts

It depends on what they do eat. I think beans and cabbages bring out some smelly poop!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts