Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We will be travelling to my IL's for Thanksgiving this year.  They live about a 5 hour drive from us and we'll probably be leaving Wednesday morning.  I wanted to make some apple pies to bring, but I'm not sure if it would be too early to bake them Tuesday and I'm unsure about how to get them there.  I'm new to pie making, so I'm not sure what to do.  Any ideas?  Thanks!</p>

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
<p>It's not too early to bake them, but realize they'll be a bit soggy 2 days later.  There are ways around that, but just something to be aware of.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for transporting, it really depends.  You can use something like Tupperware's cake transporter.  I know my grandmother at one point had a 2-tier one like that she used for pies.  Or just find a box that your pan fits in flat, pack it in there with newspaper to prevent shifting and don't stack anything on top.  Even a box lid can work well.</p>

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>The Tupperware cake carrier with the domed lid works best. By any chance, do you have a jumbo-sized cereal box? In a pinch, they are pretty good cake/pastry boxes. You can dump your cereal into a storage container or ziploc bag. You can also buy cake boxes like the ones from a bakery at a lot of craft and cooking shops now too. </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Thanks!  I don't have a tupperware transporter (though I've hinted to dh for Christmas!), but the box idea sounds good.  I had another thought: could I make them, but not bake them, and freeze them? And then bake them there?  It's going to be crazy at their house (20+ people in a 3 bedroom house for 5 days!) so I don't want to make them there, but I could probably bake them.  Or would that be a bad idea?</p>

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
<p>We have transported pies on long drives like that ust by putting tinfoil over the top of the pan and putting the pie under the front seats of the car.  </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts