Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So, I'm working on it step by step. I think it is time to tackle the cold cereal. But I don't think we can do the cold turkey thing, it is a staple on mornings where there is literally 5 min. Also a staple for gluten free middle of the night bedstand pregnancy cravings.  ( I want to munch a handful, drink some water, and go to sleep! No lights necessary)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, I'm wanting to find out what kinds/brands are the best way to go. My hubby and son aren't gluten free, so wheat based ones are ok for him.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Chex are my GF go to right now, since I can't do saltines, and rice cakes just won't do it right now.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, opinions?</p>
<p>Wheatabix for the hubby?</p>
<p>Grapenuts?</p>
<p>Arrowhead mills puffed grains?</p>
<p>Granola?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any ideas for 'making' something that can be for cold cereal? Like granola, but not with oats?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Well, at least we've cut down to like 2 times a week for breakfast cereal...</p>

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
<p>Honestly, I think granola is the only vaguely ok in terms of health option there for regular eating.  And even that, most granola is cooked using dry heat not moist heat.  Maybe GF crackers would be a better midnight option?  (Grapenuts feel healthy, but have an astronomical amount of sugar.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Could you make a granola with flaked/rolled quinoa? That might work, and I've seen it in a couple stores (though if your options are limited you might have to buy it online)  If you soak your granola with some fat then yogurt overnight then bake or dehydrate, it's much more digestible.  you just want barely enough yogurt to coat the grains.</p>

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
<p>This was the HARDEST for us to give up!  But we did it. I recently started making the cereal in Eat Fat, Lose Fat for those rushed mornings.  I make two batches and hope it lasts a few weeks b/c it takes me about two days to make it.  It doesn't take that long to make start to finish, but I do it in spurts.  Anyway, my family likes it.</p>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind as an easy, no cook breakfast which isn't heavy on grains: I would try whole milk yogurt and make your own granola with an emphasis on sprouted grains/quinoa/nuts/seeds (pick according to your dietary needs); serve heavy on the yogurt (you can mix in fruits for flavoring too), so that the bulk of your calories are coming from the fats & proteins in the nuts/seeds/yogurt.<br><br>
Other easy breakfasts which don't require cooking in the morning: some kind of TF baked good akin to a muffin, boiled eggs, or just leftovers from dinner reheated.<br><br>
For middle of the night must-have-calories: I keep a jar of nuts by the bed or even a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. There are also yummy rice crackers or almond crackers that you can find at health food stores, if you need something 'crispier'. I think having fat or protein as a pick-me-up is more effective though.

·
Registered
846 Posts
<p>I have celiaic and tolerate the certified GF rolled oats if you can find them you can also used qunona flakes to make granola just mix up the flakes some nuts dried fruit of whatever you like almond oil or vanilla,  coconut or canola oil and some maple syrup or agave nectar .    also rice porage justsaok then  cook brown rice with a lot if water for a long time you can add fruit juice sweetner or maple/agava  if you need to . it good cold in the night ( my pregnacy ) or hot with some milk//soy in the am</p>

·
Registered
264 Posts
<p>There is a good recipe on <a href="http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com" target="_blank">www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com</a> for cold cereal.  This was the hardest and last thing that we gave up.  Once we did though I've never really looked back or missed it that much.  I LOVE the breakfast that we now have almost everyday.  Scrambled eggs and a glass of raw milk!  LOVE IT!!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts