Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds has suffered several traumatic experiences that IMHO seem to have resulted in PTSD-like symptoms. I’m looking for input on Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Websites say a good TF-CBT therapist can help children deal with and move beyond trauma in 12-20 weekly sessions. Is this true, realistic, or just hype? Any better suggestions? I found several nearby therapists trained in CBT on the web but how to find a good one? Nobody local is specialized in TF-CBT, but several have CBT trained therapists list trauma as a subspecialty, is that good enough? Any advice would be helpful.

· Registered
803 Posts
They just discussed this on a psychology mailing list I'm on. Several people had been involved with studies of TF-CBT. The consensus was the it works for simple traumas, but its not nearly as effective for multiple traumas. My understanding is that TF-CBT is a specific form of CBT. So you'd want someone who has specifically done TF-CBT if that's what you choose.

I would keep in mind that CBT, while often cited as highly effective, is not the best fit for everyone. The reason its so popular is that it can be manualized- ie, if the client says A, then you should say B. This makes it easy to study because all therapists in the study follow the same manual strictly. Other forms of therapy may be just as effective, they just don't work well with the conformity needed for scientific studies, and thus are not studied.

I would look for recommendations for a good child therapist, regardless of what type of therapy they practice. Your doctor, teachers, and other parents may be able to offer recommendations. Word of mouth is a good way to find a therapist. You'll also want to see how your son does with the therapist- the best therapist in the world wont make a difference if your son isn't comfortable with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.