Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I don't know where to even begin to research this...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We would like to adopt (whenever finances will allow, so some years from now). However, there are quite a few recommended vaxes and dd has not had any. Also dh and I would not want to get those... What do people do in these sort of situations? I really would not want to leave dd home, but I also am afraid of the sort of diseases in Africa we don't have here...</p>

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
<p>It depends on where you are going. In many places they are required and you will not be permitted into the country without proof of them. You do NOT want to spend a ton of money flying there to be left with the option of vaxing there (BAD, BAD, BAD) or just flying home. </p>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I think you would have to have more specifics about where you would be and what your living conditions would be like while there. Africa is a huge continent, you know? I live in Latin America and my vaccination choices could be way different depending on where we lived, what kind of lifestyle we had, etc...<br><br>
Once you figure out where you are going, you can research disease rates, find out of there are any vaccinations outside of the normal US schedule that are recommended (like yellow fever or hep A or typhoid) and make decisions on those as well, you can research the ways different diseases are contracted and decide how much of a risk you and your child will be in. If you are going to spend a lot of time at a specific orphanage, visiting your future child, you can ask them specifically if the children are vaccinated and if there have been any outbreaks within the orphanage of vaccination-specified diseases.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
<p>I am a non vaxer. But if we were traveling to a high risk area for diseases that as bad, I would likely do those shots. Which ones are required there?</p>

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
<p>The only vaccine that could possibly be required would be yellow fever.  And that's only for certain sub-Saharan African countries.</p>

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>Thanks... It looks like there are only "recommended" vaxes but nothing mandatory (as long as I am flying straight into the country from Europe). I guess the real question is how much I believe vaxes help and what the risks are. I am not as afraid for myself as I would be for dd. This just may be something I cannot get over...</p>

·
Registered
255 Posts
<p>I would base this decision on two other considerations in addition to what you mentioned: 1) Would your DD be staying in the capital or other urban area of the country? If you are adopting from a rural area, would it be necessary for her to travel to the rural area with you, or could she stay with your partner in the city? If you (or she) remain(s) in an urban area, you are at significantly lower risk of many diseases, and safe food and water are much easier to access. 2) How quickly could you access quality medical care if you or she becomes ill? This is related to where you'd be staying. My work takes me to fairly remote places without access to even basic medical care, so I've gotten certain vaxes that I might not otherwise for that reason (e.g. Hep A). How fast could you get back to the capital? In a really serious situation, how fast could you get back to Europe?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's not a vax issue, but the bigger concern for me would be malaria prophylaxis, which can be tough on the system but really important for small kids, especially those who haven't grown up with malaria exposure. Of course, this also depends on which country you're adopting from. I believe Malarone is the preferred prophylaxis for children. It's what I prefer for myself, too but I'm not sure how I'd feel about giving it to a child... something to look into. </p>

Reactions: la mamita

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
<p>Given the reasons that our family doesn't vax, a trip to Africa wouldn't compel us to start. Depending on the specifics of the travel plans, I would either carry on and do all the things we usually do to stay healthy or I would avoid travel to that area (or at least keep my children away).</p>

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<p>Thanks, everyone!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The more I read, the more I realize that we are not able to adopt from Africa any time soon. (Not only don't we have the money, but the rules for my country are nuts. As long as we live here, we are not even allowed to adopt from this specific country.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If this ever happens, we would most likely stay in the capital, so the risks would probably not be very big. Still... It is scary!</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts