Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we're flying across the country from CA to VA to visit my IL's. So there is a washing machine available, but it isn't as great as ours, and there is no sprayer attachment on the potty and obviously no diaper pail. We have quite a few wetbags, could we just store the dirties in wetbags for 2-3 days and then wash? How do we get the poop off really well with no sprayer? How many diapers should I bring, assuming we can wash twice or 3 times while we're there? How should I pack my diaper bag for travel through the airport/aiplane and where on earth do I change her if she poops on the plane?
:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'm travelling in a few weeks across country too for about a week. Here's my plan. I am going to bring about 2 days worth of diapers, whatever takes up the least amount of room in my bag (probably fuzzi bunz and towels with one wool cover and two nighttime fitteds). I'll bring my MOE diaper pail bag and just hang it on a door knob for a diaper pail. I'm not worried about what kind of detergent they have or washer or anything like that because it's just for a few days. As for not having a diaper sprayer, I'll use a plastic knife to scrape if it won't all plop. For the plane, I have a layover so am hoping that she'll be okay in a double stuffed FB for each flight and I'll change her right before each one. BUT, my daughter has an amazing ability to poop at the worst times so...changing diapers in the airplane bathroom is REALLY HARD and I don't want to leave my 4 yo alone so I'll probably change in the two airplane seats with the center arm bar pulled up and a diaper mat. But I might just do it in her carseat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I use cd 24/7 at home...but when I traveled last I used sposies. It made the trip easier in that I didn't have to deal with poo in someone elses home etc. It was hard shelling out the 17.00 for dipes and wipes but it was easier on me in the end (oops no pun intended)

I love cd but sometimes the situation calls for a sposie...I like the 7th generation they worked just fine and are unbleached. And we had poo at the worst times so I was glad I had the sposies and was happy to have my cd's when I got home with my handy dandy sprayer. Don't feel guilty for using a sposie.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I always carry a couple of gallon size ziplock bags in the diaper bag in case of poops. If I'm somewhere where I can't dump the poop, I roll up the diaper and put it in the ziplock, then put that into the wetbag. That helps contain the smell until I can get to a bathroom to take care of the diaper.

A couple of years ago I traveled by train with 2 children in diapers. We used pockets the whole time and it was fine. I always changed them right on the seat. It's not like there's room in the bathroom anyway!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
DH, DD and I just got back from a 4 day travel spree with CD. We brought two wetbags (blue for clean/purple for dirties) and washed every second day...to cut down on the # of dipes we had to pack. I found that pre-stuffed FB pockets with two nighttime dipes/one cover worked well for us. We also use cloth wipes and I found that if I pre-stuffed dipes/folded a wipe/snapped FB shut I could pack a lot more in a lot less space.
: That's kinda confusing, hope you follow.
We washed at a hotel (commercial washer/dryer) and I just filled the washer a tiny bit with cold to soak for about 10 minutes (left the lid open) and then turned it to Hot/Cold and shut the lid for the wash...Dipes came out super well. Then just line dried them at my in-laws house.
My tip is to use a wetbag that closes super tightly for your dirties!
Have a great trip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts