Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Has anyone traveled abroad with a little one?  We are thinking about traveling next year with my son who would be 2 then.  I'd love to hear any insight or advice you lovely mamas can offer!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Katie</p>

·
Registered
134 Posts
<p>we've travelled quite a bit with our now 4 yr old and 2 yr old, at various ages and trips of different lengths (trans-atlantic, and within Europe) and would say that although there are invariably "why do we do this to ourselves?" moments, at the end of the trip we always agree it was worthwhile and a great experience for all of us.  Vacations with little ones are certainly not relaxing in the way that vacations without little ones can be, but then what is?  From our experience of flying, the most difficult age is probably 1-1.5.  By about 2 I think our son's attention span was a bit longer so entertaining him was easier and he also had a bit more understanding in terms of what we had to do/what he couldn't do, so hopefully you will find the same.  For the plane, a variety of small toys including some favourites and some new ones help.  Matchbox cars are good, pens and paper, small magnetic drawing board and of course books.  In terms of the vacation itself, we've always found that the excitement of being in a new place keeps the kids going and entertained for quite a while, even just in the hotel room or house in which we are guests.  You probably wouldn't want to pack your schedule with as much sightseeing etc as you might otherwise, but that really depends on the character of your little one.  Think ahead of time about how you'll deal with schedules/routines etc if you normally work in that way.  Of course all these will be adapted and relaxed on a vacation, but for example you may choose to stay somewhere self-catered if you're worried about mealtimes or restaurants.  You can still go out to eat too, but you'd have more flexibility that way.  If we go anywhere with a beach our kids are happy there all day every day.  So think about what your son loves and think of how you'll be able to incorporate that into your trip.  We have sometimes taken a portable DVD player along with some of the kids' favourite DVDs - I know some people are not into that sort of thing, but we find that when we're away, naps tend to shorter, bedtimes later, excitement levels higher and it helps having an outlet that helps the kids just zone out for a bit and get some down time without actually sleeping when they are getting overwrought or overexcited.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm sure you'll have a great time - good luck and enjoy!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts