Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am looking for information on traveling and the need to pump/freeze milk. I have to drive about 10 hours (not counting the stops a baby requires) for our 11-day vacation and will need to keep pumping and storing milk for a friend.

Anyone ever done this? How do I get the milk back home? Someone mentioned dry ice but I don't even know where to get that or how to use it! (Geesh, wish I could remember my high school chemistry.)

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Aubrie

·
Registered
794 Posts
i have used dry ice while traveling. we were moving from NC to IL and planned on it taking about 3 days. i had approximately 100 oz of milk (already frozen in a home freezer) in a cooler with 10lbs of dry ice. the ice lasted about 4 days.

i bought my dry ice at an ice company - look in the yellow pages. they come in pellets, packaged in brown paper bags. i had 2 bags, 5 lbs each. the owner of the company i used was very helpful about determining how much, how to pack, what kind of things effect the longevity (for example, air flow melts it quicker. since we had the cooler in the back of a pickup for the trip, it melted faster), etc.

dry ice freezes to -108. at that temperature, it will take quite a while to 'thaw' back to normal freezing temp. therefore, making it unusable for some time (until it gets back to normal freezing temp and can be thawed).

my question on your exact situation is whether you will be able to freeze before packing it in dry ice? will you be in one location for your trip, where you can just freeze in a normal freezer, then pack it in (dry or regular) ice to make the trip back home?

i don't think 11 hours is really that long. if the milk is already frozen and packed well with normal ice i don't think you would see any thawing.

hth!

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I use dry ice when traveling. Even on a 1.5 hour trip. I do not take chances with my milk. I put the milk in a cooler, wrap it in news paper (first) then put the dry ice on it. I have had milk partially defrost when putting it in a cooler with regular ice. I lost 100 oz that way. (it was a 1.5 hour trip in late winter) I refused to refreeze it, I did not feel it would be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts