Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I was just thinking about midwifery and doula stuff (because when am I NOT thinking about it?) and was thinking about women who don't have doulas in their area but want them. If as a doula, I have the goal of doulas being available to every woman who wants one, then how do we accomplish that goal?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Has anyone ever travelled to another state to be a doula? Another country?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm sure there are people out there who have done that for far-away friends or family, but have you ever had clients who are so desperate to have a doula that they will fly you out to be at their birth? Could that work ever?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know of a midwife who travels to places where there are no midwives (I believe she does it illegally and she has a really bad track record) but I've never heard of a doula doing something. I think it would be kind of interesting...just thinking about the topic and wondering if anyone has anything to say about it.</p>

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
<p>The farthest I've gone to a birth is an hour, but I would be willing to drive 2-3 hours if someone really needed me to.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The first issue that comes to mind for me is that there's no way of knowing when someone will start labor. For example, I have a friend who is states away. When she asked me about being her doula, I was happy to do it but I couldn't figure out the logistics.</p>

·
Registered
192 Posts
<p>I've taken a couple clients 3-4 hours away in the past. My goal with them is to pre-pare them super well for early labor and how to cope. Once I receive 'the' phone call I am on the phone with them every 30 minutes til I get there. For prenatals I ask them to meet me half way (usually at a restaurant) and I combine 2 down to one. If they are wanting to be treated like an other local client (2 prenatal visits at their home) I charge them an additional travel fee.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Strictly as a traveling doula (state to state) would be hard to develop a business, IMO, but being a doula willing to travel out of the area (hours), it just takes some coordination and patience. I wouldn't do it for my full client load, but 1-2 times a year isn't bad.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do have a friend that flew her doula in several days before labor. She did pay for her flight, housed and fed her, plus paid her her regular fee. Its funny, this was in a heavily populated doula area, but she wanted THIS woman to be her doula. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts