Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi all,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's very likely that my family will be spending about 6 weeks this summer in Ecuador (Guayaquil area), for our jobs. My son will probably be about 14-15 months when we leave (probably closer to 14). We've been selectively vaxing and delaying some. So far we've finished the first 3 DTaP, finished HIB, Rotovirus, and had 3 Pc shots. I was hoping to delay the MMR as long as possible so he'd only need one shot around age 4 or 5, as well as delaying Hep A because he wouldn't need it. I think he was going to get an IPV shot in the next few months anyway.  Basically we're following the Dr. Sears alternative schedule, omitting the unnecessary ones like chicken pox and flu, etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, looking at travel vaccine requirements, it looks like there's a decent Hep A, measles, and polio risk (polio the least of these). So I guess he needs more shots?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any suggestions of how to space them out over the next 6 months or so? I'd like to keep it so he never gets more than 2 shots at once, and only one shot if he's getting a live virus (I'm dreading the MMR bc it's 3 at once!) Should I wait until the last minute to get the MMR, so he'll be as close to 15 months as possible? Any BTDT with overseas travelling to places where you have to vaccinate faster than you'd like otherwise?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The ones I see as most urgent, having lived and moved between the US and Peru are: typhoid and hep A. Those, to me, were the most urgent and the most common serious illnesses present here in S.Amer. Because they are food borne, they are still very common and a big risk--unless your baby is still nursing exclusively. We ended up doing DTAP and the H1N1 muuuuuch later on, like around age 4. We've lived in SAmer from ages 3-10mos, 2.5-3yrs, and 4-5 years. No vaxes before the first trip, HepA and Typhoid before the second trip, and DTAP and H1N1 before the third trip. I personally wouldn't be too worried about MMR, unless I knew I was planning on being pregnant during that time. Even so, DS isn't vaxed against MMR, we are in Peru and I didn't run out and get him vaxed...I do not trust the vaccines here AT ALL, so I consider that a bigger risk than possible exposure to one of the MMR diseases affecting the fetus.<br><br>
eta: measles and mumps are common childhood illnesses here, i've never heard of a kid getting rubella, but these are definitely still present. that might make your decision to get the MMR a little easier...i would do it now if i didn't think that the vaccines available here in SAmer still have mercury.

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
<p>We had rubella exposure our last trip to central america, so that is something to think on (luckily I was immune because I was 1st trimester at the time!). Hep A is the other one on our minds for travel to central america besides MMR. We do not do rotavirus but did experience that during an international trip to central america so that really stunk!!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We vaccinated perhaps a bit faster with my 3rd due to a planned trip, she got MMR a month or so earlier than we wanted. We also had an extra doctor visit to fit in another DTaP and Hib (which we do together).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You could do Hep A/ IPV and the alternate visits do one MMR and one IPV and then Hep A dose 2 and last dose IPV just before you leave (Hep A doses are 6 months apart-- so you def need to do that one first if you want both in by the time you leave)</p>

Reactions: la mamita

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>In your opinion is it important to get both doses of HepA? From what I've read, they don't give it before 12 months, so we wouldn't be able to get both unless he gets the first one at ~9 months.</p>

·
Registered
421 Posts
<p>I grew up in Ecuador (was born there and lived there until I was 17 and came to college in the US), and I wouldn't worry about polio and measles, but that's just me.  Go ahead and get Hep A if it worries you.  I mostly responded just to say that Ecuador is a BEAUTIFUL country and I hope you enjoy your time there!  Try to get up to Quito (my hometown!) if you can, and travel a lot if you have time.  I'm going to visit family in January and can't wait (also, my son is unvaxed and I am unconcerned about our visit, although I will try to protect him from mosquito bites while we are on the coast).</p>

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
<p>What kind of conditions will you be leaving in ?  If you will be leaving in sanitary US-type conditions, drinking treated or bottled water and your son will not be malnourished, then there is no reason to get <span style="text-decoration:underline;">any</span> of those vaccines.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Incidentally, hepatitis A is harmless to children.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Typhoid is entirely treatable with antibiotics and again, if you know that you will be eating food prepared by you or in reputable restaurants and not just whereever on the street, your son will not be at risk for typhoid.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts