Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article recently on a mom and her partner travelling the world with their new baby.

What are you guys' thoughts on that? Would you ever do that? What have been your -traveling-with-a-newborn experiences?

I think I'd love to travel during my mat leave but would be a little worried about the quality of health care in some places (for one). Plus, I guess it depends on your baby's temperament...Would love to hear your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
I travelled home to visit my family when my son was over 3 months old. Small babies can travel very well. I wore him and nursed him on the plane and he was fine. I would not have wanted to travel in the first 2 months of his life. I was a mess. My hormones were crazy and I was exhausted and anxious enough without travelling. I believe it is important to take time to rest and bond after your baby is born. Your body needs time to heal and you both have so much to learn about being a mom and baby. If it's your second child, maybe it's a little easier. I do know someone who travelled to state parks and camped when her baby was very small. It helped ease some depression she was having. So I think it depends on the person and the baby but I would wait at least until you are healed and breastfeeding is established so you don't have to worry about those things.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Yeah, learning to nurse, dealing with postpartum aches and pains, night sweats and learning your baby's cry cues. Too much to add traveling unless maybe you went just one spot and hung out on the beach or by the lake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hİİ, in my opinion it’s very complicated topic. I have daughter anş she is 5 years old. When she was 5 monts , ı and my hosband travelled to visit my brother. I was quite anxious. As My anxious rised, my daugter felt .she was cryed a lot. But ı think if ı more relax , she could be fine.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
We traveled internationally when my DD was 2 1/2 months old. My DH is an immigrant, and my FIL had just been diagnosed with aggressive cancer. The trip went well and we don't regret it, BUT....

I had already recovered from giving birth when we planned the trip
Our DD was a super easy baby. She slept a lot, nursed easily, seldom cried
We were visiting extended family who truly took care of us
The trip was about spending time with people we loved, not trying to site see

Attempting the exact same trip with our second child at the same age would have been a disaster because she was an extremely high need baby who seldom slept, who required I ate a limited diet to not upset her stomach, and who screamed and cried for extensive periods of time no matter what we did. I was so exhausted from lack of sleep for months that I was emotional and zombie-like. Frankly, taking a shower was difficult. I can't imagine attempting to navigate an airport, much less meet her needs on a plane, hotel, or some one's home.

My advice is to not plan anything until you have a chance to get to know your baby. If, after your baby gets here, you do decide to travel, make it something simple and stable that is nurturing to you and your baby. This is a time to turn inward.

Reactions: pokeyac

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I travelled home to visit my family when my son was over 3 months old. Small babies can travel very well. I wore him and nursed him on the plane and he was fine. I would not have wanted to travel in the first 2 months of his life. I was a mess. My hormones were crazy and I was exhausted and anxious enough without travelling. I believe it is important to take time to rest and bond after your baby is born. Your body needs time to heal and you both have so much to learn about being a mom and baby. If it's your second child, maybe it's a little easier. I do know someone who travelled to state parks and camped when her baby was very small. It helped ease some depression she was having. So I think it depends on the person and the baby but I would wait at least until you are healed and breastfeeding is established so you don't have to worry about those things.
Really good points and super helpful advice - thanks! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We traveled internationally when my DD was 2 1/2 months old. My DH is an immigrant, and my FIL had just been diagnosed with aggressive cancer. The trip went well and we don't regret it, BUT....

I had already recovered from giving birth when we planned the trip
Our DD was a super easy baby. She slept a lot, nursed easily, seldom cried
We were visiting extended family who truly took care of us
The trip was about spending time with people we loved, not trying to site see

Attempting the exact same trip with our second child at the same age would have been a disaster because she was an extremely high need baby who seldom slept, who required I ate a limited diet to not upset her stomach, and who screamed and cried for extensive periods of time no matter what we did. I was so exhausted from lack of sleep for months that I was emotional and zombie-like. Frankly, taking a shower was difficult. I can't imagine attempting to navigate an airport, much less meet her needs on a plane, hotel, or some one's home.

My advice is to not plan anything until you have a chance to get to know your baby. If, after your baby gets here, you do decide to travel, make it something simple and stable that is nurturing to you and your baby. This is a time to turn inward.
I had a feeling it would be child-dependent...isn't it fascinating how two siblings could be such different babies?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts