Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have travelled with your baby? I have two big trips coming up and I am not sure how practical they are. First, I would like to drive to Tennessee to visit my mother and sister. It is going to be a 9 hour trip. Since Joshua screams in his carseat most of the time, not sure how I am going to pull that off. Plus, don't forget I have 4 other kids too! Sounds exhausting just thinking about it!<br><br>
Second, we are supposed to fly to Ireland this winter on a company trip with Joshua and my 3 year old (can't leave them home, no sitters, older kids going to friends for the week). but it looks like I have to drive to NYC (3.5 hours), flight to London, then to Ireland. Anyone do this with a 5-6 month old and toddler?<br><br>
Any tips? Anyone think I am just crazy and should stay home? :LOL

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
i say go for it. bring your slings!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've done 8-9 hour drives with a 2 week old, a one and a half month old, and a three month old. All were difficult, but doable and, honestly, not as bad as I expected. With my ds, I was able to sit in the backseat with him, which helped a lot; I also did the 'lean over and breastfeed' thing (yes, I know there are differing views on the safety of this), which really kept him pretty happy. With my dd, it's been more difficult since I can't sit beside her, but she takes a pacifier, which helps.<br><br>
I've done a few flights with babies, ages 5 months up, though not flights that are as long as the ones you're looking at (Kansas City to Montreal was the longest one). When ds was able to be a lap infant, it was pretty good, but he screamed bloody murder the whole time when we took a carseat.<br><br>
Very doable, though. Have a good time!

·
Registered
568 Posts
We flew from Montreal to Victoria with a change of planes mid-way through in August, when ds was almost 6 mths old. It went really well on the way there, and not great on the way back, mostly because it was night-time, the plane was bright and loud, and ds was coming down with a cold.<br><br>
I second the advice about bringing the sling: it's great in airports. Also, even though they tell you to over-the-shoulder him upon take-off, I nursed and nobody said anything about it. That helped him go to sleep, and it warded off any ear-popping situations. I made sure to time it so he would want to nurse at that time.<br><br>
I would also recommend that you make sure that you have everything you need at your destination ahead of time, and if someone else is organizing those details, be anal about it and ask a lot of questions. We had wonderfully generous hosts who let us have the run of their house and swore up and down they could easily get us a crib, but what they had was a pretty used and crummy pack-n-play pen. This meant we had to leave ds unattended on the bed for naps some times, and the mattress couldn't be put on the floor (we tried naps in the pen, but that didn't really work out). Some babies are cavaliere about their sleeping arrangements, but ours isnt't! They'd also promised use of a vehicle which, as it turns out, couldn't accomodate the carseat.<br><br>
I'm going to visit my mom and sister in Floriday in November and I'm going to rent everything myself!<br><br>
Hope this helps, and good luck!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>mrzmeg</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I also did the 'lean over and breastfeed' thing (yes, I know there are differing views on the safety of this),</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Wow, I never even thought of this...how does it work? Is it uncomfortable for you?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It is a little uncomfortable, because you do have to kind of contort. It's easiest with a rear facing carseat. Just whip it out, loosen your seatbelt, and kind of lean far enough over the kid to latch him on. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and I found it much more comfortable than riding with a screaming baby.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do the lean over and breastfeed thing. Very comfortable, not sure I could do that for more than 1/2 hour or so. It kills my back (which I have some problems with to begin with). So unless I can talk my husband into coming, I would be driving the whole way.<br><br>
In ireland, we are staying in two very nice hotels, but won't really need any cribs, etc. because he will sleep either in the sling or I will be napping with him! I am worried about the long flight though, and also about the time change and how that will affect the boys.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I do the lean over and breastfeed thing, it's a savoir!!...my DS goes EVERYWHERE I go adn I go A LOT. He's cool with the car.<br>
He also really likes music. When I'm driving and can't get back to him, I just crank up either Dead or Lauryn Hill...or any reggae. The kid loves it!<br>
Also..I'm trying to get down to TN from PA by myself next weekend...funny conincidence!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts